Courses, training and coaching
The Lancaster Centre for Forecasting has a long and successful history in delivering first class forecasting education to students and to practitioners
We offer a range of fundamental and advanced courses, as well as tailor made courses to better address your needs.
The Fundamentals of Forecasting courses
Business Forecasting with Time Series Methods
Learn how to understand and forecast your time series. This two-day course is an ideal introduction to forecasting. You will learn how to explore and analyse your data, build robust and accurate time series models and understand your forecasting performance. Business Forecasting with Time Series Methods (course brochure)
Schedule for 2017 - 2018:
- 17 – 18 May 2018 (link to the event page),
- 15 – 16 November 2018.
Business Forecasting with Marketing and Economic Drivers
Learn how to create forecasts that capture driver variables. External effects, such as the weather, policy changes, promotions, etc can be captured and explored with regression. Understand how to build valid powerful forecasting models that can explain external influences to your time series in this two-day course. Business Forecasting with Causal Models (course brochure).
Schedule for 2018:
Do you have special requirements for a course? Let us know! We will develop tailor made courses to meet the needs of your team. These can be held at Lancaster, in London, or on-site on your own premises to reduce travel overheads. For example, we regularly teach courses tailor made for a particular software package. Here is the list of potential topics for bespoke courses:
- Statistical Forecasting with SAP APO-DP: Specialised four day course on forecasting methods, error metrics and processes for the successful software package SAP APO DP. Learn all variants of Exponential Smoothing and Regression available in DP, and understand the pitfalls of SAP's automatic model selection, trend-models, outlier correction, and how error measures are defined differently.
- ARIMA: Bring the power of time series models and regression together. Learn how to build and use for forecasting the powerful ARIMA models, with or without external effects.
- Artificial Neural Networks: Use state-of-the-art predictive models for your organisation. Learn how to build neural networks to accurately predict complex and nonlinear time series. Understand how to capture time series dynamics, external events and complex interactions with Neural Networks.
- Slow Moving & Intermittent Demand: Learn how to forecast reliably slow moving items, spare parts and other intermittent time series.
- Promotional Modelling: Specialised course on promotional modeling. Learn how to build and use advanced predictive models to best model and understand your promotions.
- New Product Forecasting: Learn state-of-the-art forecasting methods to new product demand forecasting and the use of expert opinion and management judgment.
In addition, the Lancaster Centre for Forecasting offers individual one-to-one training on the job, giving individual support to tackle new methods and systems in order to bring new team members up to a desired level of knowledge.
IIF Certificate of Forecasting
The Lancaster Centre for Forecasting in collaboration with the International Institute of Forecasters (IIF) offers the Certificate of Forecasting to participants of our courses. You can find more details here.
References and Testimonials
Past course attendees include: Sanofi Aventis, NHS, Beiersdorf, Bayer, LEGO, C&C, Tata, Momondo Group, Celanese, British Gypsum, UK Department of Work, Barclays, Capita Dixons, NightFreight, Scottish Power, Booths, DWP, Philips, etc.
"I really enjoyed the Time Series Statistical Forecasting course. I am not new to this subject but it was a great refresher course and i really found the excel works sheet examples very intuitivein reviewing the impacts of outliers and level changes to the forecast output. The course leaders were extremely passionate about the subject matter and cultivated great discussions amongst the workshop attendees."
Johathan Morrow, Senior Manager, Supply Chain Centre of Excellence, Tata Consultancy Services
"The course gave me an excellent base on which to build the forecasting methods used by my team. It highlighted areas that needed instant action, such as using different methods for different time series, but it also provided knowledge and ideas that will allow me to continually improve our processes over the next few months."
Donna Selwood, Stock Forecaster & Analyst Team Leader, Primrose Ltd
"... excellent course which will make an important difference on how we work ... practical lessons from the workshops... "
UK Department of Work and Pensions DWP
"The Lancaster forecasting course is a well organised programme with a variety of tutors, and a relaxed method of teaching and group discussion. The course contents includes practical application through exercises and case studies relevant to real world issues. Attending two separate workshop sessions allowed us to implement lessons from the first workshop and report back to tutors and fellow delegates at the second. We are now in a good position to further develop our forecasting methodology and improve forecast accuracy at British Gypsum Ltd."
Russell Trueman, British Gypsum
What will I gain from the course?
This course is an ideal introduction to forecasting. You will learn how to explore and analyse your data, build robust and accurate time series models and understand your forecasting performance.
What software are you going to use for the hands-on exercises?
As we want to provide transferable skills to a wide range of organisations, for this fundamentals course we focus mainly on Excel.
Will this course tackle real data?
Yes, this course tackle real data with patterns that are commonly observed in operational time series.
Who are the trainers?
Trainers of this course will be Professor Robert Fildes, Professor John Boylan, Dr Sven F Crone, Dr Nikos Kourentzes, Dr Ivan Svetunkov and other academic staff of the Lancaster Centre for Forecasting. More details about the trainers can be found here.
How are they skilled in training?
LCF has a long and successful history in delivering first class forecasting education to students and to practitioners. Lectures are made by Professional University Educators, with many years of teaching experience in developing courses, clear learning objectives and learning modes.
Why choose Lancaster?
- Professionalism: Courses are designed and taught by professional educators, with many years of teaching experience in developing courses, defining learning objectives and learning modes up to university level. Don't get caught in a course run by practitioners or consultants with little teaching experience.
- Expertise: All trainers are experts in their respective areas of forecasting, both on the latest level of theoretical research but also implementing it in real projects with leading multinational companies. This ensures you can always transform the results of our latest theoretical research into practice.
- Course design: Guaranteed small teaching groups of approx. 10-12 students, in contrast to 20-40 in other courses. This allows us to work with you hands-on using real data, running resource intensive hands-on exercises in MS Excel and specialised forecasting tools. A mere call to bring along your laptop with support from trained staff.
- Resources: In addition to presentation material handouts and MS Excel template-solutions including popular forecasting methods (readily implemented for you to use outside the course), each participant will receive a complimentary copy of the latest forecasting book Principles of Business Forecasting by Professors Robert Fildes (a course leader) and Keith Ord.
Please contact us to find the most suitable form of training to tackle your current organisational challenges.