Leading on Sustainability Programme
Leading on Sustainability will provide future leaders with skills to address sustainability and to help their organisations work with its opportunities and challenges.
This six-month development programme is provided through a partnership between the Department of Management Learning and Leadership and Business in the Community (BITC).
Is your business sustainable?
Addressing sustainability is about ‘operating in a way that ensures long-term viability'.
Regulators and investors are increasingly interested in how businesses are analysing and managing potential risks from sustainability issues be they environmental, social, political or to do with governance.
Recent research from Accenture and the United Nations shows that the top 50 leading businesses on sustainability already significantly out-perform their peers on shareholder return.
Who is it for?
Leading on Sustainability is an intensive and cost-effective programme specifically developed for future senior managers, whether sustainability is part of their current brief or not.
Whether you are a manager seeking to take leadership on sustainability within your organisation, or a senior executive looking for a cutting-edge development opportunity for talented individuals, Leading on Sustainability is a unique programme that will enhance leadership skills and foster change.
The programme enables participants to develop learning and leadership skills to help them:
- identify key problems, opportunities and risks for long-term business success
- influence debates and business planning
Participants are encouraged to work as internal consultants and are supported through action research processes to create valuable outputs that combine the benefits of insider knowledge with an external perspective.
What does the programme deliver?
Leading on Sustainability offers action-oriented, self-directed learning, designed to practise what it advocates – learning as an approach to leadership.
Leading on Sustainability:
- engages with real challenges
- develops leadership skills and capacities to influence change
- inspires creativity and innovation through challenging discussions and sharing practice
- develops strategies to balance competing priorities and achieve results
- provides insights from inspirational leaders
- shares experiences and ideas from sustainability practitioners and academics
- creates opportunities to develop personal and professional networks
- supports peer learning and personal growth
- provides membership of the online Leadership For Sustainability Learning Network and Business in the Community’s peer learning network for ongoing face-to-face support
What does the programme involve?
- This action-orientated programme takes place over ten months
- Six one-day workshops – presentations, discussions, peer support and group learning
- Online discussions and knowledge sharing between workshops through the Leadership For Sustainability Learning Network
- The programme is delivered by a team from BITC and Lancaster University Management School