Overview of access to our student talent
Ever since its formation in 1964, the Department of Management Science has held the belief that research and teaching should be well-founded in practice. Consequently, we have always had strong links with industry, commerce and the public sector.
These links include
- Collaborative research – often consisting of industrial sponsorship of PhD students
- Undergraduate placements
- MSc projects - short placements in industry in the final term, supported by academics pertinent to the field
- Knowledge Transfer Partnerships
- Workshops for industry (problem solving days with staff and students)
- Guest lectures - as part of the recruitment process, many employers also visit the department to give presentations or to run case studies
- Careers events
The Department has the broadest suite of work pertinent to Management Science within the UK. Research is carried out within Operational Research, Operations Management, Information Management and Systems. Further details of research areas are given in the Research section. Projects achieve a high degree of implementation with many companies sponsoring projects year after year.