Dr Chih-Ling LiuLecturer
My primary research interests lie in exploring the relationship between identity, self and consumption (e.g., identity projects in Consumer Culture Theory/Consumer Psychology). Much of my research is concerned with consumers' consumption meanings and discourses.
My current research projects include:
1. DISSERTATION BASED PROJECT (with Dr Debbbie Keeling and Prof Margaret Hogg)
- Liu, C., Keeling, D. and Hogg, M. (2016), "Strategy Narratives and Wellbeing Challenges: The Role of Everyday Self-Presentation," Journal of Business Research, 69 (1), 234-43.
- Liu, C., Keeling, D. and Hogg, M. (2013),"Strategies For Managing the Relational Self: the Case of Women’s Consumption of Cosmetics", in E - European Advances in Consumer Research Volume 10, eds. Gert Cornelissen, Elena Reutskaja, and Ana Valenzuela, Duluth, MN: Association for Consumer Research, 118-119.
- Liu, C., Keeling, D. and Hogg, M. (2012), The Unspoken Truth: A Phenomenological Study of Changes in Women's Sense of Self and the Intimate Relationship with Cosmetics Consumption. In: Research in Consumer Behavior, edited by Russell W. Belk, Søren Askegaard, and Linda Scott, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, Vol. 14, 89-107.
- Liu, C., Keeling, D. and Hogg, M. (2012), "Trajectories of the Self: a Phenomenological Study of Women’s Changing Faces Reflected in Cosmetics Consumption", in NA - Advances in Consumer Research Volume 40, eds. ZeynepGürhan-Canli, Cele Otnes, and Rui (Juliet) Zhu, Duluth, MN: Association for Consumer Research, 875-876.
2. GIFTING PROJECT (with Dr Xin Zhao and Prof Margaret Hogg)
- Liu, C., Zhao, X. and Hogg, M., “The Lover and the Savior: Gift Giving within Mother-Daughter Dyads”, Contributing to: “Romantic Gift Giving” edited by Yuko Minowa and Russell W. Belk, forthcoming (Book chapter)
3. STIGMA PROJECT (with Dr Xin Zhao)
4. MIXED METHOD PROJECT (with Prof Peter McGoldrick)
- McGoldrick, P. and Liu. C. (2016), “Application of Mixed Methods by Consumer Marketing Practitioners: Lessons for the Academy?”, The Academy of Marketing Science (AMS) Conference (Lake Buena Vista, Florida)
5. OTHER PROJECTS
- Liu, C. and Hogg, M., “Consumers’ desired and undesired selves”, Contributing to: “The Routledge Companion to Consumer Behavior” edited by Tina M. Lowrey and Michael R. Solomon, forthcoming (Book chapter)
- MNGT 610 Marketing Research (Qualitative)
- MKGT 402(1) Phiosophy of Social Science
- MKTG 316 Advanced Topics in Consumer Behaviour
- MKTG 310 Marketing Research and Consultancy Project
- MKTG 210 Marketing Research (Qualitative)
PhD Supervision Interests
I am keen to supervise PhD students interested in the relationship between consumption meanings and identity negotiation.
Application of mixed methods by consumer marketing practitioners: lessons for the academy?
McGoldrick, P., Liu, C. 20/05/2016
Strategy narratives and wellbeing challenges: the role of everyday self-presentation
Liu, C., Keeling, D., Hogg, M. 01/2016 In: Journal of Business Research. 69, 1, p. 234-243. 10 p.
Why does animosity negatively affect product attitudes?: considering the role of anticipated future regret
Daryanto, A., Salciuviene, L., Liu, C. 15/12/2015 In: Advances in Consumer Research. 43
Conceptualizing and examining the process of consumers’ choice of goal-pursuits
Liu, C., Keeling, D., Hogg, M. 2015
Internal strategy narratives and external selves: the case of self-adornment in the management of personal well-being challenges in social relationships
Liu, C., Keeling, D., Hogg, M. 2015
A phenomenological approach to some issues in consumer research
Liu, C., Keeling, D., Hogg, M. 2013 In: Interpretive Consumer Research Workshop .
Strategies for managing the relational self: the case of women’s consumption of cosmetics
Liu, C., Keeling, D.I., Hogg, M. 2013
The unspoken truth: a phenomenological study of changes in women's sense of self and the intimate relationship with cosmetics consumption
Liu, C., Keeling, D.I., Hogg, M. 12/2012 In: Research in Consumer Behavior. Emerald Group Publishing Ltd p. 89-107. 19 p.
Trajectories of the self: a phenomenological study of women’s changing faces reflected in cosmetics consumption
Liu, C., Keeling, D.I., Hogg, M. 2012
Journal of Business Research