The assessment for the MA in HR and Consulting involves no examinations but is based upon pieces of coursework:
- two papers (1,000-1,500 words each)
- an assessed presentation linked to Organisational Learning and Knowledge Management.
- a research essay (1,000 words)
- a consulting project, with both a written report and an oral presentation (group-based) on the group's findings
- a group-based presentation on an aspect of design and dynamics in organisational learning
- a quantitative research assignment
- a dissertation proposal (1,500 words)
- a dissertation (15-20,000 words)
The papers offer a way of exploring ideas arising from the module content and related literature.
The research essay and dissertation generally involve some active primary research. The research essay enables you to hone your research skills. The dissertation proposal prepares you for undertaking your dissertation. Previous participants' dissertations have used a variety of research approaches.
Selecting dissertation topics
You choose your dissertation topic in consultation with your tutors and your learning group, and you are free to select a topic of particular interest from within the broad areas covered in the programme. Discussing proposed topics within your learning group then helps you to refine the focus of your chosen area.
The subjects selected vary enormously but the list on the right gives some indication of the breadth of topics undertaken recently.