Applicants for the MA in Human Resources and Consulting are normally expected to have the following qualifications:
- an honours degree or equivalent qualification from a recognised university
- demonstrable English language competence if their first language is not English
We look for a minimum of a 2:1 honours degree or equivalent
(eg, a minimum GPA of 3.2 on a four-point scale or an A grade on a literal scale).
The subject area of the first degree is not critical.
Work experience is not a requirement, however because the programme demands the ability to reflect on and discuss professional practice and HR issues, some relevant work experience can be helpful for this programme. For some students, this will have been gained in management education, training or development, consultancy or other branches of management; experience of voluntary organisations is also very useful.
English language requirements
Studying at Masters level demands a high level of fluency in written and spoken language, and excellent comprehension. For this reason, non-native speakers of English are normally asked to demonstrate their English language competence by taking one of the internationally recognised tests below.
Our minimum language requirements for postgraduate study at LUMS are:
- IELTS 7.0, with at least 6.0 in each element
- Pearson Academic (PTE) 70, with at least 55 in each element
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) grade C
- ToEFL iBT 100 (with minimum 22 in each skill)
Please note: IELTS and Pearson scores are valid for two years from the test date. Also, note that ToEFL tests are no longer recognised by the UK Visas and Immigration Office for entry to pre-sessional English language courses.