The MRes (Masters in Research) is a one-year full-time Masters degree intended for students who are planning to become academic researchers or consultants, and who wish to prepare for their PhD studies.
The MRes has two purposes:
- to provide intending PhD students with a good grounding in a specialist subject area
- to provide intending PhD students with the qualitative and quantitative research skills they will need in order to undertake their research
Four MRes programmes are available at Lancaster:
- MRes in Advanced Marketing Management
- MRes in Information Technology, Management and Organisational Change
- MRes in Management Science
The MRes is based on the MSc degrees available at Lancaster. In addition to the subject material covered in the MSc degrees, there are
- courses in quantitative and qualitative research methods
- a research plan requirement (minimum 10,000 words) which replaces the summer project
Students who achieve the required standard in these components may apply for a PhD degree in the following year, continuing their research training for a further three years.
MSc and MA degrees
These three programmes are accredited by the ESRC and meet the requirments for the '1+3' ESRC scheme (one year of training in research accredited by the ESRC via the North West Doctoral Training Centre:
- MSc in HR and Knowledge Management
- MA in Human Resources and Consulting
- MSc in Entreprenuership, Innovation and Practice
ESRC requirements for research training
The ESRC recognises the LUMS MRes and Masters programmes above as meeting their requirements for funding. See PhD funding for details.
How to apply
Applicants should complete the University’s application form online. Applicants will also be prompted to upload their supporting documents online. This includes academic transcripts and references.
For more information, please contact:
The Doctoral Office
Lancaster University Management School
Tel: +44 (0)1524 510667