Operations and Supply Excellence
Successfully managing its operations and its supply chain activities is central to any organisation’s ability to compete for revenues and resources.
The aim of this module is to introduce a series of innovations and capabilities in operations and supply chain management that have been associated with excellence and outstanding performance.
- Total quality management
- Strategic procurement management
- Lean production principles
- Supply chain contract design and negotiation
- High reliability organisation
- Supply chain financing and risk management
- Theory of constraints
- Managing business process flows
The module will look at these subjects in both manufacturing and service contexts.
By the end of the module you should be able to:
- Appreciate the role that achieving excellence in operations and supply chain management plays in the success of an organisation.
- Understand when and how to apply various ways of thinking and organizing for achieving excellence in operations and supply chains.
Outline lecture plan
There are five two-hour lectures and three two-hour seminars, But you will be encouraged to contribute to the lectures, and the seminars will include short topic briefings.
100% coursework involving group presentations and individual written reports.
You will not be required to have access to a course text and will be given any reading you are required to do by one of the lecturers.