10th and 11th April, Lancaster University
A conference devoted to functional analysis and related topics. All are most welcome to attend.
- Uwe Franz (Laboratoire de mathématiques de Besançon, Université de Franche-Comté, France)
- Alexander Helemskii (Moscow State University, Russia)
- Martin Mathieu (Queen's University Belfast, Northern Ireland)
- Sandra Pott (Lund University, Sweden)
- Richard Timoney (Trinity College Dublin, Ireland)
- Lyudmila Turowska (University of Gothenburg, Sweden)
- Moritz Weber (Universität des Saarlandes, Germany)
- George Willis, FAA (University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia)
- Wiesław Żelazko (Institute of Mathematics Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland)
Please direct any enquiries to Garth Dale here. If you plan to attend, it would be helpful if you could notify him by no later than 31 March 2018.
Tuesday 10 April
- 13:30 - 14:20: Willis
- 14:30 - 15:20: Helemskii: Multi-normed spaces, based on non-discrete measures, and their tensor products
- 15:30 - 16:00: Tea break
- 16:00 - 16:50: Timoney: Jordan methods in analysis, past and present
- 17:00 - 17:40: Żelazko: What is known and what is not known about maximal abelian subalgebras of Banach algebras
- 19:30 - : Dinner
Wednesday 11 April
- 09:30 - 10:20: Franz: Generating functionals and Hochschild cohomology for compact quantum groups
- 10:30 - 11:00: Coffee break
- 11:00 - 11:50: Weber: C*-algebras and quantum spaces arising from partitions
- 12:00 - 13:30: Lunch break
- 13:30 - 14:20: Pott: Commutators, matrix weights, and sharp bounds
- 14:30 - 15:30: Turowska: Completely bounded maps and invariance properties
- 15:30 - 16:00: Tea break
- 16:00 - 16:50: Mathieu: On C*-ringed spaces
All talks will be held in the Postgraduate Statistics Centre Lecture Theatre (Room A54, building 48 on the campus map). Information on travelling to Lancaster University and some maps can be found in the section Travel information or here.
We plan to have a dinner in Lancaster on Tuesday 10th April at 19:30. If you wish to attend, please notify Garth Dales before 28 March (with details of the number of people who wish to attend).
Accommodation on campus is very convenient but is limited (only 20 rooms were available for the period of the conference when we checked on 19th January); we therefore recommend booking as soon as possible under www.lancaster.ac.uk/sleep. For off campus accommodation possibilities, see here.
NBFAS Anniversary meeting in Edinburgh
Lancaster Analysis Days 2018 has been timed to immediately precede the 50th Anniversary Meeting of the NBFAS (North British Functional Analysis Seminar), to be held at the ICMS in Edinburgh from 13:00 on Thursday 12th to 13:00 on Saturday 14th April. The NBFAS was instigated by Frank Bonsall and John Ringrose, and the first meeting was in Edinburgh in 1968; we shall therefore be celebrating its Golden Anniversary. Needless to say, the NBFAS has played a huge role in the history of functional analysis in (North) Britain and beyond.
Here is a list of suggested accommodation for NBFAS.
For those wishing to travel on to NBFAS, the following trains to Edinburgh on Thursday are recommended (with current cheapest prices):
Depart Lancaster 8.08 Arrive Edinburgh 10.17 (£11.00)
Depart Lancaster 8.41 Arrive Edinburgh 11.03 (£37.00)
Depart Lancaster 10.08 Arrive Edinburgh 12.22 (£16.00)
Equality and Diversity