We are an exciting, innovative and friendly department, specialising in pure mathematics and statistics, with a well-deserved reputation for top-quality teaching and world-class research.
Our courses offer academic excellence, with three single-honours degrees and ten combined-honours degrees taught in collaboration with other departments. The teaching is highly focused in the first two years; this enables students to choose from a wide range of third and fourth year topics, which serve to prepare for a variety of careers. The strong departmental research ethos ensures our courses are shaped by the latest developments and provides a vibrant learning environment.
Friendly and collaborative
The department has around 50 academic staff and 500 undergraduate students. An important aspect of Lancaster's commitment to excellent teaching is our system of weekly workshops and marked assignments for each course, throughout the duration of your studies. These meetings give students the opportunity to discuss each topic and get feedback from expert tutors. We also offer one-to-one sessions during lecturers' office hours, so you soon get to know us and vice versa.
We were ranked joint 5th in the UK, for overall research quality, in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF). The REF measures the quality and impact of research conducted in universities and other higher education institutions in the UK, against international standards of excellence.
- Accounting, Finance and Mathematics : BSc Hons : NG41
- Accounting, Finance and Mathematics (Industry) : BSc Hons : NG42
- Computer Science and Mathematics : BSc Hons : GG14
- Computer Science and Mathematics : MSci Hons : GG1K
- Financial Mathematics : BSc Hons : GN13
- Financial Mathematics : MSci Hons : GN1H
- Financial Mathematics (Industry) : BSc Hons : GN1J
- French Studies and Mathematics : BA Hons : GR11
- Mathematics : BSc Hons : G100
- Mathematics : MSci Hons : G101
- Mathematics (Placement Year) : BSc Hons : G102
- Mathematics (Study Abroad) : MSci Hons : G103
- Mathematics and Philosophy : BA Hons : GV15
- Mathematics with Statistics : BSc Hons : G1G3
- Mathematics with Statistics : MSci Hons : G1GJ
- Mathematics with Statistics (Placement Year) : BSc Hons : GCG3
- Mathematics with Statistics (Study Abroad) : MSci Hons : G1GH
- Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics and Economics (MORSE) : BSc Hons : GLN0
- Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics and Economics (MORSE) (Industry) : BSc Hons : GLN1
- Spanish Studies and Mathematics : BA Hons : GR14
- Statistics : BSc Hons : G300
- Statistics : MSci Hons : G303
- Statistics (Placement Year) : BSc Hons : G302
- Statistics (Study Abroad) : MSci Hons : G301
You can spend your second year studying at one of our partner universities. These partner Universities span the globe: in Europe, the USA, New Zealand and Australia. Where you choose to study at is up to you, although places are subject to availability. Learn more
Student and Alumni Stories
Graduating students and alumni can give you a real flavour of life at Lancaster and how we can change your life and launch your career.
Studying at Lancaster
Find out more about studying at Lancaster, including academic support, career development opportunities and life at Lancaster.
Enquire about Undergraduate Study
We hope that you will have found the information about studying with us that you require on these pages or in our Undergraduate Prospectus but if you have any further questions, please complete the form below and we will be in touch soon.