Zhan Pang is Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) of Management Science at Lancaster University Management School. He is also adjunct professor in Norwegian School of Economics (NHH). He holds BS and MS degrees in Mathematics from Nanjing University, and a PhD degree in Operations Research from Chinese University of Hong Kong. Prior to joining Lancaster University in 2010, he had been working at the Department of Mathematics and Statistics of University of Calgary, Judge Business School of University of Cambridge, and Rotman School of Management of University of Toronto as postdoctoral research fellow.
Zhan Pang has published in pricing and revenue management, inventory and production operations management, risk management and supply chain management. His research has appeared in several top journals in operations field, including Operations Research, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, Production and Operations Management, etc. His current research interests include big data and business analytics in marketing, operations and risk management, and corporate operational and risk strategy. He has consulted in the online retailing, pharmaceutical, health service, energy and financial service industries, and is currently an independent director of a public energy technology company listed on the HKEx.
- Ph.D., Operations Research, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- B.S., M.S., Mathematics, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China.
- Dynamic Decision Making under Uncertainty
- Pricing Strategy and Revenue Management
- Supply Chain Operations and Risk Management
- Mechanism Design and Game Theory
- Energy Economics and Energy Systems Modeling
- MSCI502 Introduction to Operations Research and Management Science, Fall 2013 (Msc)
- MSCI381 Demand Forecasting and Revenue Management, Fall 2013 (Undergraduate)
- MSCI583 Pricing Analytics and Revenue Management, Spring 2014 (Msc)
- MSCI573 Supply and Operations Excellence, Spring 2014 (Msc)
- MSCI569 Management Science in Supply Chains and Marketing Contexts, Fall 2010.
- MSCI100/110 Introduction to Business Analytics (Statistics), Fall/Spring 2010, 2011 (Undergraduate)
- MSCI101 Statistics and Computing for Management, Fall 2010, 2011 (Undergraduate)
- BUS429 Dynamic Pricing and Revenue Management, Fall 2013 (Msc, NHH)
- MS6712 Comtemporary Topics in Quantitative Analysis for Businesses, Spring 2015 (Msc, City University of Hong Kong)
- Xuying Zhao, Zhan Pang and Kathryn Stecke (2015) When Does Advance Selling Benefit Manufacturer, Retailer or Both? To appear in Production and Operations Management.
- Pedro Crespo Del Granado, Stein W. Wallace and Zhan Pang (2015) The Impact of Wind Uncertainty on the Strategic Valuation of Distributed Electricity Storage. To appear in Computational Management Science.
- Zhan Pang, Oded Berman and Ming Hu (2015) Up then Down: The Bid Price Trends in Revenue Management. Production and Operations Management, 24(7) 1135-1147.
- Zhan Pang (2015) Optimal Control of Assemble-to-Order Systems with Multiple Demand Classes and Backordering. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 60(2), 2015, 480-484.
- Xin Chen, Zhan Pang and Limeng Pan (2014) Coordinating Inventory Control and Pricing Strategies for Perishable Products. Operations Research, 62(2), 284-300.
- Zhan Pang, Houcai Shen and T.C. Edwin Cheng (2014) Inventory Rationing in a Make-to-Stock System with Batch Production and Multiple Demand Classes. Production and Operations Management, 23(7), 1243 -1257.
- Zhan Pang, Frank Chen (2014) Coordinated Pricing and Inventory Control with Batch Production and Erlang Leadtimes. Probability in Engineering and Information Science, 28(4), 529-563.
- Houyuan Jiang, Zhan Pang and Sergei Savin (2012) Performance-Based Contracts for Outpatient Medical Services. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 14 (4), 654-660.
- Zhan Pang, Frank Chen and Youyi Feng (2012) A Note on the Structure of Joint Inventory-Pricing Control with Lead Times. Operations Research, 60 (3), 581-587.
- Pedro Crespo Del Granado, Zhan Pang and Stein W. Wallace (2014) The Value of Energy Storage in Domestic Homes: A Smart Grid Perspective, Energy Systems, 5, 211-232.
- Zhan Pang (2011) Optimal Dynamic Pricing and Inventory Control with Stock Deterioration and Partial Backordering. Operations Research Letters 39 (5), 357-379.
- Houcai Shen, Zhan Pang and T.C. Edwin Cheng (2011) The Component Procurement Problem for the Loss-Averse Manufacturer with Spot Purchase. Int. J. of Production Economics 132 (1), 146-153.
- Lei Rao, Xue Liu, Le Xie and Zhan Pang (2011) Hedging Against Uncertainty: A Tale of Internet Data Center Operations under Smart Grid Environment. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 2 (3), 555-563.
- Liuxin Chen, Frank Chen and Zhan Pang (2011) Dynamic Pricing and Inventory Control in a Make-to-Stock Queue with Information on the Production Status. IEEE Trans. on Auto. Sci. and Engineering, 8 (2), 361-373.
- Houyuan Jiang and Zhan Pang (2011) Network Capacity Management under Competition. Computational Optimization and Applications, 50 (2), 287-326.
- Youyi Feng and Zhan Pang (2010) Coordination of Production and Sales Admission Control in the Presence of a Spot Market. Naval Research Logistics 57(4), 309-329.
- Youyi Feng, Jihong Ou and Zhan Pang (2008) Optimal Control of Price and Production in an Assemble-to-Order System. Operations Research Letters 36(4) 2008, 506-512.
- Biases in Online Consumer Review Valence: Implications for Pricing and Social Interaction Strategies (with Xuying Zhao).
- Advance Selling with Price Guarantee: Profiting from Demand Uncertainty (with Xuying Zhao).
- Dynamic Financial Hedging Strategies for a Stochastic Commodity with Demand Uncertainty (with Panos Kouvelis and Qing Ding).
- Capacity Management of Medical Services under Competition and Performance-Based Incentives (with Houyuan Jiang and Sergei Savin).
- Dual Sourcing with Random Supply Capacity (with Xin Chen).
- Dynamic Booking Control for Car Rental Revenue Management: A Decomposition Approach (with Dong Li).
- Does a Product Recall Matter to All Consumers After a Product Harm Crisis? (with Didier Soopramanien and Yong Cao)
- Smart Data Pricing: The Value of Shared Data Plans (with Yue Jin)
- Oligoplistic Dynamic Revenue Management
REFEREED CONFERENCE PAPERS
- Smart Data Pricing: To share or not to share? (with Yue Jin, Bell Lab), workshop on Smart Data Pricing at INFOCOM 2014, Toronto. (Featured on the IEEE Comsoc blog)
- Value, Trading Strategies and Financial Investment of Natural Gas Storage Assets (with Y. Feng). Northern Finance Association Conference 2008, Kananaskis.
- Supply Chain Coordination via Capacity Options with Uncertain Demand and Supply (with H. Shen). IEEE: Systems, Man and Cybernetics, IEEE International Conference on Volume 7, 10-13 Oct. 5997 - 6002, 2004.
My curriculum vitae is available here.
Last updated on April 1, 2015.
[School] | [Department] |
Links on these pages to commercial sites do not represent an endorsement
by the Lancaster University or its affiliates.