- Working paper now online authored in collaboration with the Open Rights Group on 'An Investigation into the Performance of UK Internet Providers' Web Filters'. We found that "...between 30% and 82% of tested URLs were underblocked, while between 2% to 6% of URLs were overblocked".
- Won outstanding contribution award for work on launching the M.Sc. Data Science programme in 2014.
- M.Sc. Data Science is now recruiting for 2015-2016. Our open Day is coming up on 17th July. More details can be found here. Fee waiver scholarships are also available.
AboutMy core research interest is in the area of Social Computing where I examine how users, communities, and networks evolve on social media. I am also interested in data-driven approaches towards informing digital rights and accountability. To facilitate my research I invesitgate the following topics:
- Automated prediction methods based on machine learning (i.e. objective optimisation techniques)
- Data mining using statistical models and scalable pattern recognition techniques
- The semantic web and linked data, including user and community representation paradigms
- Identity disambiguation and coreference resolution
Before joining Lancaster I worked for two years (2010-2012) as a Research Assciate at the Knowledge Media Institute (KMi) at the Open University, Milton Keynes, on the EU-Funded Integrated Project ROBUST. On the project I worked on semantic models of user behaviour, role mining and community health and behaviour change prediction methods. Before joining KMi I studied for a Ph.D. (2006-2010) under the supervision of Prof. Fabio Ciravegna at the University of Sheffield. My Ph.D. thesis explored automated identity disambiguation methods and how such methods could be supported using Social Data leveraged from Social Web platforms such as Facebook, MySpace and Twitter.
- An Investigation into the Performance of UK Internet Providers' Web Filters. M Rowe and R King. Working paper (submitted for review). (2016)
- Towards Modelling Language Innovation Acceptance in Online Social Networks. D Kershaw, M Rowe, and P Stacey. To apppear in the proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining 2016. San Francisco, US. (2016)
- Language Innovation and Change in On-line Social Networks. D Kershaw, M Rowe, and P Stacey. To appear in the proceedings of the Doctoral Consortium of the ACM Conference on Hypertext 2015. Cyprus. (2015)
- Proceedings of the Making Sense of Microposts Workshop (#Microposts2015) at the World Wide Web Conference. M Rowe, M Stankovic and A Dadzie. Florence, Italy. (2015)
- Mining User Development Signals for Online Community Churner Detection. M Rowe. To appear in ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data (in press). (2015)
TeachingI am Director of the MSc Data Science. I currently teach the following modules:
- SCC.130 Information Systems - Social and professional issues of information systems (censorship, privacy, surveillance, copyright, patent law, malware, viruses)
- SCC.413 Applied Data Mining - Semantic web, social networks, recommender systems, network and web science, information extraction and retrieval, and scalable data processing
- SCC.461 Programming for Data Scientists - Object-oriented programming principles, abstract data types, data I/O, data integration and computaional diambiguation.
Ph.D. Student SupervisionI currently supervise the following Ph.D. students:
- A photo a day! Narratives of well-being in 365 projects. In collaboration with the University of Sheffield and the University of Leicester.
- Analysis of historic drought and water scarcity in the UK: a systems-based study of drivers, impacts and their interactions. Began in June 2014. NERC funded for 4-years. SCC Role: Language Cascade Mining from Social Streams.
- Pattern Analsysis for aTTention Economics in Social web systems (PATTES). 2013-2014. Lancaster Unviersity Internal Funding.
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), Catalyst EPSRC Project
- World Wide Web Journal, Journal of Web Semantics, ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology, Semantic Web Journal, British Medical Journal - Quality and Safety, Computer Communications, International Journal of Human-Computer Studies
- 2015: AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence 2015, Extended Semantic Web Conference 2015, 11th International Conference on Semantic Systems, International Semantic Web Conference 2015 (, Lancaster University Data Analysis Competition 2015, EC-Web 2015 (Search, Comparison and Recommender Systems track), User Modelling, Adaptation and Personalization Conference 2015
- 2014: International Conference on Social Computing 2014, SEMANTICS Conference 2014, ACM Web Science Conference 2014, ACM Hypertext Conference 2014, Web Science track at the World Wide Web Conference 2014, AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence 2014, Confefence on User Modelling, Adaptation and Personalisation (UMAP) 2014, Extended Semantic Web Conference 2014 (Social Web and Web Science Track Chair), International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM) 2014 (Workshops), International Conference on Current Trends in Theory and Practice of Computer Science 2014
- 2013: International Semantic Web Conference 2013, International Semantic Web Conference 2013 (In-use track), 1st International IFIP Working Conference on Value-driven Social Semantics & Collective Intelligence (VaSCo), International Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM) 2013, International Conference on Knowledge Management and Knowkedge Technologies 2013, ACM Conference on Multimedia Retrieval, ACM Web Science Conference 2013, AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence 2013, ACM Hypertext and Social Media Conference 2013, Social Media and Semantic Technologies in Emergency Response Conference 2013, 2013 International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI), International Conference on Current Trends in Theory and Practice of Computer Science 2013.
- 2012: International Conference on Digital Information Management 2012, 8th International Conference on Semantic Systems, International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management 2012, Extended Semantic Web Conference 2012, IEEE International Conference on Social Computing 2012, AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence 2012, ACM Web Science Conference 2012, ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media 2012, Extended Semantic Web Conference 2012.
- 2011: International Conference on Digital Information Management 2011, Joint International Semantic Technology Conference 2011, International Semantic Web Conference 2011 (In-use track), Extended Semantic Web Conference 2011, International Conference on Social Computing and Applications 2011 (SCA2011).
- Co-organiser of the 5th Making Sense of Microposts workshop at the World Wide Web Conference 2015
- Co-organiser of the Making Sense of Microposts (#Microposts2014) workshop at the World Wide Web Conference 2014
- Invited Speaker at the Quality, Movivation and Coordination of Open Collaboration workshop at the International Conference on Social Informatics 2013
- Track chair for the Social Web and Web Science track at the Extended Semantic Web Conference 2014
- Co-organiser of Making Sense of Microposts (#MSM2013) workshop at the World Wide Web Conference 2013
- Editorial Board member for the International Journal on Web Engineering and Technologies
- Publicity and Communications Chair for the International Conference on Knowledge Capture 2013
- Guest Editor for a Special Issue on Visualisation of and Interaction with Semantic Web Data in the International Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems
- Co-organiser of Making Sense of Microposts (#MSM2012) workshop at the World Wide Web Conference 2012
- Tutor at the Extended Semantic Web Conference 2012 Summer School in Kalamaki, Crete
- Invited Keynote Speaker at the Detecting and Exploiting Cultural Diversity on the Social Web Workshop at the 20th Annual ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management
- Guest Editor for a Special Issue on 'the Semantics of Microposts' in the Semantic Web Journal
- PhD Symposium mentor at the Extended Semantic Web Conference 2011
- Co-organiser of Making Sense of Microposts (#MSM2011) workshop at the Extended Semantic Web Conference 2011
- Tutor at the IEEE Summer school on Semantic Computing, University of Berkeley, CA, USA, August 2011
- Coordinator of Semantic Web Technologies Activity at the Extended Semantic Web Conference 2011
- Co-organiser of Essential HCI for the Semantic Web Tutorial at the Extended Semantic Web Conference 2010
- Invited Expert for the W3C Social Web Incubator Group