Playing a key part in delivering the Northern Powerhouse
Lancaster University is strongly committed to playing a leading role in helping to deliver an economically vibrant Northern Powerhouse.
The Northern Powerhouse is a Government-led ambition to bring together the great cities, towns and rural communities of the North of England and Wales to become a powerhouse for the national economy.
As part of the Northern Powerhouse the government has pledged to invest in transport infrastructure; work with local areas to raise education and skills levels across the North; ensure the North is an excellent place to start and grow a business; and ensure the Northern Powerhouse is recognised worldwide as an excellent opportunity for trade and investment.
A research-intensive university, Lancaster works hard to ensure its world-leading research breakthroughs have a significant impact on the wider economy. A recent independent report measured Lancaster University’s contribution to the UK economy to be worth £627 million, supporting more than 10,000 jobs.
Lancaster has worked with more than 5,000 SMEs over the last decade and has established strategic links with other universities, Local Enterprise Partnerships and large industrial partners to deliver innovative programmes, investments and initiatives aimed at raising productivity across northern England.
Examples of these include:
- Science Innovation Audit for a Northern Advanced Manufacturing Corridor
- Creating a Health Innovation Campus
- Supporting and investing in the manufacturers of tomorrow with the Productivity through People programme
- Helping 80 UK SMEs extend their opportunities for business collaboration and international trade with the Lancaster China Catalyst programme.
- The Joining 4.0 Innovation Centre – a centre of excellence for the next industrial revolution
- The Collaborative Technology Access Programme (cTAP) provides businesses access to facilities and expertise located in our Chemistry Department
Lancaster University is part of The N8 Research Partnership - a collaboration of the eight most research intensive universities in the North of England. The N8 Research Partnership is part of the Government’s Northern Powerhouse partnership programme.