Co-Located Company NuBlue Benefitted From New Summer Placement Scheme
Web agency and hosting provider NuBlue Limited was started by two Lancaster brothers Thomas and Michael Ashworth in 2005 at science and Technology's InfoLab21.
They now have a team of 20 staff and have been extremely successful, winning:
- The Big Chip Award for Lancashire in 2006
- 'Outstanding Achievement Award' in the Interactive Media Awards 2008
- 'Digital Business Of The Year' at the Lancashire Business View Red Rose Awards 2011
- 'Creative Business of the Year' in the Be Inspired Business Awards 2011.
Over the seven years on campus, the business has benefited from a range of support, including:
- The leadership development programme Lancaster LEAD®
- Lancaster City Council grants to help with extending their office
- Lancaster University Management School's High Growth programme.
Thriving company NuBlue needed extra skills and resources to help deal with their growing number of clients.
In the summer of 2012 NuBlue took on a graduate from the Science and Technology's School of Computing and Communications through a new eight week information and communications technologies placement scheme.
The graduate took on responsibilities across a range of disciplines, including front end development, systems development, systems testing and new technology research and evaluation.
The role added value to a range of client projects by providing an extra resource across projects to ensure they delivered genuine benefits for the clients.
The core benefit to the business was the additional resource and new skills freed up existing resources within the team to work on new projects and increase company turnover by providing additional services to new and existing clients.
"The placement scheme provided real benefits to our business - the graduate was not only a great fit in terms of skills and interests, but got on well with the whole team and became an integral part of our day to day operations. We certainly wouldn't hesitate to take part in this scheme again."
Michael Ashworth, Managing Director of NuBlue Limited