The Beauty in Science: A Lancaster University exhibition at The Storey Institute
Fri 20 September - Sat 12 October 2013
The Storey Institute, Lancaster
'The Beauty in Science' will feature 100 curious images capturing all aspects of science research from the gamut of science departments at Lancaster University.
The exhibition, the first of its kind for Lancaster University, will bring gown to town at The Storey in a spectacular collection designed to inspire, intrigue and surprise. It will feature a combination of photographs, digital displays, slide shows, time lapse sequences, sound bites and model animations.
The three-week-long spectacle, in the Storey's main Gallery and Music Room, will also feature a free programme of engaging short talks at 7pm Tuesday evenings by accomplished speakers covering everything from modelling a heartbeat to tracking down where the rain goes.
- Dr Mike Coogan (Chemistry) 'Shining some light on chemistry and biology'
- Dr Amanda Turner (Maths and Stats) 'From lichen to lightning strikes: using mathematics to describe random growth'
- Dr Paul Brocklehurst (Engineering) 'Modelling a heartbeat'
- Dr Jess Davies (LEC) 'Following a raindrop: modelling the pathways water takes from raindrop to stream'
- Dr Annette Ryan (LEC) 'Drought tolerant crops: how to get more crop per drop'
- Prof Padraic Monaghan (Psychology) 'Language, learning and evolution'
- Prof Lionel Wilson (LEC) 'Volcanoes on Earth and other planets'
The talks are free, but spaces are limited so people are asked to register their interest with the Visitor Information Centre.
The exhibition is the brainchild of Dr Hannah Newton, a Research Associate at the Lancaster Environment Centre, who was inspired by a similar show at the Manchester Science Festival.
'The Beauty in Science' will open with a private viewing on Thursday, 19th September when the Mayor of Lancaster, Councillor June Ashworth, will attend and the University's Vice-Chancellor Professor Mark Smith will give an opening address.
The display will then open to the public on Friday, 20th September and will run to Saturday, 12th October.
The show is funded by Lancaster University Research Committee.
To book a free visit, please register at the Visitor Information Centre in The Storey. To find out more please contact Dr Hannah Newton on 01524 593993 or go to www.lancs.ac.uk/gallery/the-beauty-in-science-exhibition for more information.