Informal Business Mentors Needed At Networking Lunch
Friday 16 October 2009, 1145-1445
Lancaster House Hotel, Lancaster
Lancaster University is looking for informal business mentors for an event which supports the career development and employability of its postdoctoral research staff.
Mentors would act as host or joint host for a table of researchers in the relaxed environment of Lancaster House Hotel.
Mentors whose career history includes periods as a researcher would be particularly welcome.
The event aims to:
- Raise researchers' awareness of business and enterprise through discussion and networking with informal "business mentors"
- Help researchers to recognise the skills and competences they need to demonstrate to make the transition from academia to commerce and business
- Create a forum where business people and researchers can explore ideas for possible collaboration
- Introduce researchers to role models who are willing to talk about their career history
- Raise awareness of recruitment opportunities outside of academia
- Informal activities designed to get everyone talking
- Short, personal perspective about academia and working with business
- Lunch and informal discussions (matching interests if possible)
- Follow up discussion session
- Questions and answers
Anyone interested in attending as a business mentor please contact Barbara Tigar for further information: