Year 12 Science and Technology Taster Day
Thursday 01 July 2010, 0945-1500
Management School Building
More than 180 students from schools across the region are expected to attend Lancaster University's sixth annual Year 12 Science and Technology taster day.
Pupils will meet scientists, attend lectures and get hands-on in sessions across campus designed to give students a flavour of some of the current research and teaching happening at Lancaster.
One of the most popular sessions looks set to be a DNA 'who done it' taster session in Biology. The students will be analysing cheek swabs from a fictional murder enquiry and trying to work out which suspect committed the crime.
Other sessions will include:
- Mobile phone development in Communication Systems
- Strategy and decision making in Maths and Stats
- A visit to 'fridges' which cool to a temperature below -272°C in Physics (the top ranked Physics department in the country)
- An introduction to glaciers in Geography; modern motor racing car design in Engineering
- Learning about volcanic eruptions in Environmental Science
- Hearing about the role of the Psychologist in a criminal trial in Psychology
Lunch and refreshments will be provided for the students and staff who attend.
- 9:45-10:00 Registration/Introduction
- 10:00-11:00 Campus Tour
- 11:00-12:30 Session 1
- 12:30-1:15 Lunch
- 1:15-2:45 Session 2
Contact Alan Darragh to find out more.