Spring in(to) action - Predictive Valve Spring Dynamics for Valve Train Optimisation
3 Year Industry-led Funded Phd ref. no. CGE60
This project is in collaboration with a specialist technical company which works on high performance engines for use in motorsports and marine applications. Use predictive dynamic analysis to develop an optimised approach for the design, simulation and test of valve and injection springs for use in these high performance engines.
• Advanced 3D scanning technology; to develop real world accurate geometric profiles of existing components
• Non-linear finite element analysis; to simulate high dynamic behaviour of valve springs in engines
• Engine dyno testing; to develop validate the dynamic simulation model.
Applicants should have a first class or 2:1 degree engineering, physics or related discipline. Knowledge of image analysis, mechanical testing and finite element methods are preferred.
This PhD project is supervised by Lancaster University and Force Technology Ltd. Force Technology was established to pave the way for development and innovation in the high precision, high duty spring markets. The world class manufacturing company is continuously improving its products and systems whilst developing its innovative approach to design and development of processes. As well as advanced manufacturing facilities, Force Technology has a metallurgical laboratory and component testing facility, with engine dyno, to continue to build its industry-leading approach to innovation.
The business management systems are fully integrated to work with quality management system ISO9001, automotive quality approval TS16949, environmental management system ISO14001 and health and safety.
By joining the Centre for Global Eco-Innovation you will
- Receive £15,000 tax free per year
- Have your postgraduate tuition fees paid for by your partner business, worth £4,195/year (fees for Non EU/UK graduates are subsidised from £17,510/year to £13,315/year). See published rates by year of entry
- Become part of a cohort of graduates working with an award-winning team on business-led R&D
- Finish in a strong position to enter a competitive job market in the UK and overseas.
To apply for this opportunity please email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
Application deadline: 6th August 2017
Start date: September / October 2017