Environment and Development PGCert
The need for sustainable development is a global concern. This scheme aims to prepare you to address the challenges faced in safeguarding the planet’s ecosystems while improving the environments of impoverished communities.
The PgCert provides an opportunity for postgraduate learning and professional development for those who are unable to commit to a full MSc programme. The award requires the successful completion of four 15 credit modules, selected from the modules available on the MA/MSc course.
Topics are offered in both environmental and developmental themes, with options for fieldwork in the UK, Asia, Africa and South America, usually working with universities and NGOs in the host countries. This optional overseas component provides vital experience for those looking for a career in the overseas development sector.
The scheme has a broad choice of optional modules, which provide the ideal education for anyone interested in a career that will address environment and development issues, in the private, public, or not-for-profit sectors.
Four modules from the following (subject to change)Air Quality and ClimateBehaviour of Pollutants in the EnvironmentBiological Effects of Air Pollution and Climate ChangeCatchment Protection (field course)Chemical Risk AssessmentClimate Change and SocietyConsequences of Toxicological EffectsConservation BiologyContaminated Land and RemediationCrop ProtectionData Analysis and InterpretationData Analysis and Programming SkillsData Assimilation and IntegrationEcology, Conservation and CultureEnvironment and CultureEnvironmental AuditingEnvironmental JusticeEnvironmental ManagementEnvironmental RadioactivityEnvironmental Sampling and Analysis for Trace OrganicsEnvironmental ToxicologyFlood Forecasting and Flood Risk ManagementFood Security, Agriculture and Climate ChangeFood Security and Environmental Issues in ChinaGeoinformaticsGeological HazardsGlobalisation and DemocratisationGroundwater Resources and ProtectionHabitat ManagementInternational Environmental LawLake EcologyLow Carbon Energy UseModelling Environmental ProcessesNumerical SkillsPollution MicrobiologyRight to Adequate Food as a Human RightSustainable Soil ManagementSustainable SystemsThe Rights of PeoplesToxicological Mechanisms and MeasurementsUsing the NVCWildlife Monitoring TechniquesWildlife Population Ecology
- Biological Science : PhD
- Contamination, Risk Assessment and Remediation : MSc
- Contamination, Risk Assessment and Remediation : PGCert
- Data Science for the Environment : MSc
- Ecology (by research) : MSc
- Ecology and Conservation : MSc
- Ecology and Conservation : PGCert
- Energy and the Environment : MSc
- Environment and Development : MSc
- Environment and Development : MA
- Environmental Management and Consultancy : MA
- Environmental Science : PhD
- Environmental Science (by research) : MSc (research)
- Environmental Science and Technology : MSc
- Environmental Science and Technology : PGCert
- Environmental and Biochemical Toxicology : MSc
- Geography : PhD
- Plant Sciences (by research) : MSc (research)
- Resource and Environmental Management : MSc
- Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security : MSc
- Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security : PGCert
- Sustainable Water Management : MSc
- Sustainable Water Management : PGCert
- Volcanology and Geological Hazards : MSc
Search Our Courses
For Entry: 2015
Director of Studies:Dr Yani Najman
Duration:12 months full-time; 24 months part-time
Entry requirements:Upper second class honours degree, or its equivalent, in a relevant subject. We can also consider applicants with a lower second class (or equivalent) if they have relevant work experience (including voluntary work).
IELTS:6.5 or equivalent
Assessment:Coursework, presentations and a dissertation
Funding: All applicants should consult our information on fees and funding.
Duration: Full time 10 Week(s), Part time 10 Week(s)
Department: Lancaster Environment Centre
Phone: +44 (0)1524 510257
For information on the course structure as followed by our current students, please see Lancaster University's Online Courses Handbook