Science and Technology Outreach Grants
The Faculty of Science and Technology will make funds available to support outreach and public engagement activities. These funds are specifically available for projects which achieve some or all of the following:
- Build links between the university, schools and the wider community
- Contribute to student recruitment and widening participation
- Communicate science and technology research to wider audiences and discuss issues with non-specialists
- Provide training opportunities for science and technology students and staff
- Provide a focus for press releases and media interest
Applications will be reviewed by the Science and Technology Marketing Committee. Applications are particularly welcomed for funding based on proposals which enhance the reputation and visibility of science and technology at Lancaster, promote and explain science and technology research and capitalise on the inspirational value of STEM subject for many audiences, including the general public, schools, young people and policy makers. Applications which have already secured additional funding from other sources are encouraged, as are those which may have longer-term promotional benefits.
Outreach grants in the range of £250 - £1500 per award are available to science and technology staff. Funds will be given to the applicants solely for the purpose stated. Any change in who will receive the award or in its use must be agreed by the Chair of the Marketing Committee before transferring funds.
As applicants may not receive the full sum requested, please let the faculty office know if you are unable to undertake the proposed activity so that funds may be reallocated.
Applications will normally be considered at the next Marketing Committee meeting, provided they have been submitted seven calendar days in advance of the meeting. Applications can be considered by correspondence when a fast response to an external opportunity is essential. You may wish to discuss your application with a member of the Marketing Committee.
Applications should be no longer than two sides of A4, and should cover the following:
- An outline of the project
- The cost of developing/delivering the project and the resources required
- The intended audience, with an estimate of numbers (if possible)
- The lifespan of the project
- How feedback will be obtained and how success will be measured
- How the activity will be promoted and recorded
Grant recipients must submit a written report of approximately 500 words to the Marketing Committee within four weeks of ending the activity. The report should detail any lessons learned from the activity. Failure to submit the report without good reason will result in the withdrawal of funds.
Outreach Grants Latest
Science and Technology Outreach Grant funding is fully committed for 2013/2014.
Tue 28 January 2014
Applications and Advice
Forms should be submitted to the secretary of the Marketing Committee:
Members of the Marketing Committee can offer advice on applications.