Atlantic Geomatics (Int'l) Ltd is in the early stages of developing a web-based data management system in a new business area with large growth potential. The system will combine a number of datasets, utilising geographical information system data, aerial image capture, client data sources and open source technology to create a detailed asset tracking system. With the product in the conceptual stages, this project focuses on the planning, design and early prototyping.
This internship is for three months and is part-funded by banking group Santander.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The project has three main areas of investigation to be explored and documented:
• Gathering the functional and non-functional requirements for the system.
• An audit of existing data sources to be used, identifying missing data, additional data fields required, potential numbers of records etc.
• Investigation into the most appropriate database platform for the nature of the data and likely operations. The investigation should take into account factors such as system longevity, scalability and development community support.
• Investigation of appropriate web application programming frameworks (e.g. CakePHP, Ruby on Rails) taking into account database platform, availability of support, longevity, scalability.
• Database schema design with associated documentation documenting data fields, database objects and relationships.
• Implementation of database schema
• Development of prototype Search, Create, Read, Update and (SCRUD) database interface.
• Database unit testing.
Web application design
• Wireframe prototype incorporating initial view designs and interaction flow.
• Implementation of prototype application (if time allows)
• System testing.
• System documentation.
An undergraduate or graduate in an IT/IT related subject
Experience of object-oriented software development and database design
Ability to assimilate and process information and problem solve
Database design and management
Understanding and flexible approach to software packages and object oriented languages for programming
Atlantic Geomatics (Int'l) Limited
Aldby Farm, Dacre, , Penrith, Cumbria, CA11 0HN
£6.31 (plus holiday pay)
Sun 8th June 2014
To be confirmed