Biological Sciences BSc Hons
What will you study?
This degree offers you a diverse choice of modules in genetics, biomedicine, microbiology, ecology, physiology and conservation. You start your Biological Sciences degree studying modules such as Cell Structure and Function and Evolutionary Biology. The flexible nature of the course enables you to transfer to one of our more specialised degree programmes after your first year.
In your second year, you can take modules including Medical Microbiology and Populations to Ecosystems. If you take our Study Abroad variant, you will spend the year studying at a partner university in the USA, Canada or Australasia. In your final year we offer you courses including Biology of Ageing and Global Change Biology.
Our links with external research institutions, such as hospitals and industrial laboratories, add even greater texture to your experience.
Where could it take you?
Recent graduates have found work as microbiologists, immunologists and wildlife consultants. Others have gone on to further study in Biomedicine, Cell and Tissue Engineering and Conservation Management. Transferable skills are particularly useful in teaching as well as fields involving data analysis, such as accounting and finance.
Lancaster University is dedicated to ensuring you not only gain a highly reputable degree, you also graduate with the relevant life and work based skills. We are unique in that every student is eligible to participate in The Lancaster Award which offers you the opportunity to complete key activities such as work experience, employability awareness, career development, campus community and social development. Visit our Employability section for full details.
Typical entry requirements
For courses starting in 2014:
A-level: AAB. To include two science A-levels from Biol/Chem/Comp/Env Sci/Geog/Maths/Physics/Psychology
General Studies: Only accepted if taken as one of four A levels
Key skills: Not included in offer
GCSE: Maths (B) and English Language (C)
Scottish Highers: ABBBB
International Bacc: 35 points overall with 16 points from best three HL courses
Mature students: Applications welcome. Please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office (01524 592028) for further information
Lancaster University has committed£3.7m in scholarships and bursariesto help with your fees and living costs. Our financial support depends on your circumstances and how well you do in your A-levels (or equivalent academic qualifications) before starting study with us.
Lancaster University's priority is to support every student to make the most of their life and education. For students starting their study with us in 2014, over 600 each year will be entitled to bursaries and/or scholarships to help them with the cost of fees and/or living expenses. For UK students entering in 2014 we will have the following financial support available:
AnAcademic Scholarship of £2,000for the first year of study to any student from the UK entering with A*, A*, A or equivalent academic qualificationsAnAccess Scholarship of £1,000per year for all UK students from households with an income of less than £42,600 who achieve grades of A*, A, A or the equivalent academic qualificationsALancaster Bursary of £1,000per annum for all students from England with a household income of more than £25,000 but less than £42,600As part of the National Scholarship Programme, a£1,000 Bursary,a£1,000 Fee Waiverand a£1,000 Accommodation Discountin the first year of study, for students from England with a household income of less than £25,000. Plus a Lancaster Bursary of £1,000 in subsequent years.
Please note that the National Scholarship Programme is currently under review. An update on the support available, as part of the National Scholarship programme, will be available by Monday 16 December 2013.
For full details of the University's financial support packages including eligibility criteria, please visit our fees and funding page
- Biochemistry : BSc Hons
- Biochemistry (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Biochemistry with Biomedicine : BSc Hons
- Biochemistry with Genetics : BSc Hons
- Biological Sciences : MSci Hons
- Biological Sciences (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Biological Sciences with Biomedicine : BSc Hons
- Biology with Psychology : BSc Hons
- Biomedical Science : BSc Hons
- Biomedicine : BSc
- Biomedicine : MSci
- Cell Biology : BSc Hons
- Cell Biology (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science : MSci Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Ecology and Conservation : BSc Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Economics and Geography : BA Hons
- Environmental Biology : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology : MSci Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : MSci
- Environmental Change and Sustainable Development : BSc Hons
- Environmental Chemistry : BSc Hons
- Environmental Chemistry : MChem Hons
- Environmental Chemistry (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Chemistry (Study Abroad) : MChem Hons
- Environmental Mathematics : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science and Technology : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science and Technology (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- French Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BSc Hons
- Geography (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Geography / North America : BA Hons
- Geography / North America : BSc Hons
- German Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Human Geography : BA Hons
- Physical Geography : BSc Hons
- Physical Geography / Australasia : BSc Hons
- Pre-medical Studies : Certificate of Higher Education
- Spanish Studies and Geography : BA Hons
Search Our Courses
UCAS Code: C100
For Entry: 2013, 2014
Duration: Full time 3 Year(s)
Department: Biomedical and Life Sciences (Division of)
Phone: +44 (0)1524 593265
For information on the course structure as followed by our current students, please see Lancaster University's Online Courses Handbook