Earth and Environmental Science MSci Hons
What will you study?
Based within the purpose-built Lancaster Environment Centre, you'll have access to the latest knowledge and teaching from world-class Earth scientists and Environmental scientists, including specialists in volcanology, geophysics, atmospheric science, hydrology and environmental modellers.
Combining fundamental physical sciences with geology and aspects of physical geography, our four-year MSci in Earth and Environmental Science degree gives you an unprecedented breadth of learning. You'll examine the geological processes that underpin our planet before linking these to human impacts on the land, atmosphere and oceans.
You will begin your studies with courses including environmental processes, systems and issues, geological, biogeochemical and hydrological processes. In your second year, you will then go on to study a range of subjects and develop a strong set of laboratory skills as well as undertaking environmental and geological field courses. You will then go on in your third year to complete a research project or dissertation with employability skills and choose from specialist options such as Air Pollution and Climate, Volcanic Processes Field Course and Water Resource Management
Your fourth and final year will include an extended dissertation module and the module Physical Volcanology. You will also choose three optional modules from a list including Geoinformatics, Modelling Environmental Processes and Environmental Radioactivity. Students will complete their degrees with detailed master-level knowledge of earth science and the interface with the surface environment, giving an advantage over those taking shorter programmes.
Where could it take you?
Wherever an industry affects the environment, our graduates are valued and have an excellent record in gaining employment. In the public sector, opportunities exist from research and regulatory bodies like the Environment Agency, through to the armed forces. Meanwhile, private sector industries, including civil engineering, environmental consultancy, mining and construction, demand the skills of Lancaster's high-calibre graduates.
The breadth of this degree, plus transferable skills in quantitative analysis, ensures that Lancaster's Earth and Environmental Scientists have a wide variety of career or further research options. Many graduates take their learning to PhD level to enhance their specialist knowledge and skills for example, recent graduates have chosen to study Exploration Geophysics.
Lancaster University is dedicated to ensuring you not only gain a highly reputable degree, but that you also graduate with relevant life and work based skills. We are unique in that every student is eligible to participate in The Lancaster Award which offers you the opportunity to complete key activities such as work experience, employability/career development, campus community and social development. Visit our Employability section for full details.
Typical entry requirements
For courses starting in 2014:
A level: AAB (to include one science)
Scottish Highers: ABBBB
International Bacc: 35 points overall with 16 points from the best 3 HL subjects
Mature students: Applications welcome. Interviewed if offer considered.
Lancaster University has committed£3.7m in scholarships and bursariesto help with your fees and living costs. Our financial support depends on your circumstances and how well you do in your A-levels (or equivalent academic qualifications) before starting study with us.
Lancaster University's priority is to support every student to make the most of their life and education. For students starting their study with us in 2014, over 600 each year will be entitled to bursaries and/or scholarships to help them with the cost of fees and/or living expenses. For UK students entering in 2014 we will have the following financial support available:
AnAcademic Scholarship of £2,000for the first year of study to any student from the UK entering with A*, A*, A or equivalent academic qualificationsAnAccess Scholarship of £1,000per year for all UK students from households with an income of less than £42,600 who achieve grades of A*, A, A or the equivalent academic qualificationsALancaster Bursary of £1,000per annum for all students from England with a household income of more than £25,000 but less than £42,600As part of the National Scholarship Programme, a£1,000 Bursary,a£1,000 Fee Waiverand a£1,000 Accommodation Discountin the first year of study, for students from England with a household income of less than £25,000. Plus a Lancaster Bursary of £1,000 in subsequent years.
Please note that the National Scholarship Programme is currently under review. An update on the support available, as part of the National Scholarship programme, will be available by Monday 16 December 2013.
For full details of the University's financial support packages including eligibility criteria, please visit our fees and funding page
- Biological Sciences : BSc Hons
- Biological Sciences : MSci Hons
- Biological Sciences (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Ecology and Conservation : BSc Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Economics and Geography : BA Hons
- Environmental Biology : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology : MSci Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : MSci
- Environmental Change and Sustainable Development : BSc Hons
- Environmental Chemistry : BSc Hons
- Environmental Chemistry : MChem Hons
- Environmental Chemistry (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Chemistry (Study Abroad) : MChem Hons
- Environmental Mathematics : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science and Technology : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science and Technology (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- French Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BSc Hons
- Geography (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Geography / North America : BA Hons
- Geography / North America : BSc Hons
- German Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Human Geography : BA Hons
- Physical Geography : BSc Hons
- Physical Geography / Australasia : BSc Hons
- Spanish Studies and Geography : BA Hons
Search Our Courses
UCAS Code: 4R71
For Entry: 2014
Duration: Full time 4 Year(s)
Department: Lancaster Environment Centre
Phone: +44 (0)1524 510460
For information on the course structure as followed by our current students, please see Lancaster University's Online Courses Handbook