Economics and Geography BA Hons
What will you study?
Studying a combined degree in Economics and Geography at Lancaster gives you the opportunity to benefit from expert teaching in both subjects. You’ll be taught jointly by staff in the Lancaster University Management School, which is consistently among the UK’s top five and our Geography Department, which is part of the award-winning Lancaster Environment Centre.
In Economics you’ll learn about the production and distribution of wealth and the consumption of goods and services. You’ll also cover many contemporary world issues. In Geography you’ll study the impact of these issues in terms of geopolitics, sustainable development, environmental conservation and globalisation.
You’ll begin your degree following modules including the Principles of Economics as well as Society and Space - Human Geography. In your second year, you’ll study subjects such as Intermediate Microeconomics; Geographies of Political Economy, and Environment and Society. In your final year, you’ll complete a Project in an area that matches your interests.
Where could it take you?
Lancaster’s graduates in Economics and Geography develop a unique and insightful perspective on global issues along with excellent analytical skills – this combination of knowledge and skills is highly valued by employers in many areas.
Our graduates work across a wide range of sectors such as conservation, business and the armed forces or charitable organisations, journalism or publishing.
Traditional Geography-based careers include planning, teaching and research, while Economics graduates may go on to work in banking, the civil service, management consultancies and major national and international companies.
Lancaster University is dedicated to ensuring you not only gain a highly reputable degree, you also graduate with the relevant life and work based skills. We are unique in that every student is eligible to participate in The Lancaster Award which offers you the opportunity to complete key activities such as work experience, employability awareness, career development, campus community and social development. Visit our Employability section for full details.
Typical entry requirements
For courses starting in 2015:
A-level: AAB. We normally expect three A-Levels
General Studies: Not accepted
Preference: Three A-levels
Key skills: Not included in offer
GCSE: Maths and English Language, min grade B in both
Scottish Highers: ABBBB
Irish Leaving Cert: Offers will be made on the basis of 5 or 6 Higher level subjects. Please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office (01524 592028) for further information
International Bacc: 35 pts overall with 16 from best three HL courses
Mature students: Applications welcome; interview if favourably considered. Please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office (01524 592028) for further information
Lancaster University has committed£3.7m in scholarships and bursariesto help with your fees and living costs. Our financial support depends on your circumstances and how well you do in your A-levels (or equivalent academic qualifications) before starting study with us.
Lancaster University's priority is to support every student to make the most of their life and education. For students starting their study with us in 2014, over 600 each year will be entitled to bursaries and/or scholarships to help them with the cost of fees and/or living expenses. For UK students entering in 2014 we will have the following financial support available:
AnAcademic Scholarship of £2,000for the first year of study to any student from the UK entering with A*, A*, A or equivalent academic qualificationsAnAccess Scholarship of £1,000per year for all UK students from households with an income of less than £42,600 who achieve grades of A*, A, A or the equivalent academic qualificationsALancaster Bursary of £1,000per annum for all students from England with a household income of more than £25,000 but less than £42,600As part of the National Scholarship Programme, a£1,000 Bursary,a£1,000 Fee Waiverand a£1,000 Accommodation Discountin the first year of study, for students from England with a household income of less than £25,000. Plus a Lancaster Bursary of £1,000 in subsequent years.
*All of the financial awards above are subject to approval by the Office for Fair Access July 2013.
For full details of the University's financial support packages including eligibility criteria, please visit our fees and funding page
- Biological Sciences : BSc Hons
- Biological Sciences : MSci Hons
- Biological Sciences (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science : MSci Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : MSci Hons
- Ecology and Conservation : BSc Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology : MSci Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : MSci Hons
- Environmental Change and Sustainable Development : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science : MSci Hons
- Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : MSci Hons
- Environmental Science and Technology : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science and Technology (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Financial Mathematics : MSci Hons
- French Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BSc Hons
- Geography (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Geography / North America : BA Hons
- Geography / North America : BSc Hons
- German Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Human Geography : BA Hons
- Physical Geography : BSc Hons
- Physical Geography / Australasia : BSc Hons
- Spanish Studies and Geography : BA Hons
Search Our Courses
UCAS Code: LL71
For Entry: 2015
Duration: Full time 3 Year(s)
Department: Lancaster Environment Centre
Phone: +44 (0)1524 510460
For information on the course structure as followed by our current students, please see Lancaster University's Online Courses Handbook