Environmental Biology MSci Hons
What will you study?
Our integrated Masters programmes in Environmental Biology build on the three-year BSc degrees by providing a fourth year of Masters-level study. This final year takes advantage of the wealth of relevant Masters modules available in different disciplines within the Lancaster Environment Centre, ranging from Crop Protection to Environmental Management.
The first three years of the MSci degrees follow the same curriculum as the BSc degrees. In the fourth year, you will take Biological Effects of Air Pollution and Climate Change, plus three further optional taught modules and an extended research project. This project will provide you with a real in-depth taste of scientific laboratory or field research, which will be invaluable experience for those considering a PhD or other research careers.
As with the BSc degree, the MSci scheme is available with a Study Abroad variant where you spend your second year in a partner university in the USA, Canada or Australasia.
Where could it take you?
Our graduates find work in related fields such as energy management or conservation. Others take on diverse roles within the pharmaceutical, forensic, food and medical industries. Some recent graduates have gone on to MSc studies in biomedicine, forestry and forest ecosystem management, or used the skills they learned for roles in teaching.
Lancaster University is dedicated to ensuring you not only gain a highly reputable degree, you also graduate with the relevant life and work based skills. We are unique in that every student is eligible to participate in The Lancaster Award which offers you the opportunity to complete key activities such as work experience, employability/career development, campus community and social development. Visit our Employability section for full details.
Typical entry requirements
For courses starting in 2014:
A-levels: AAA. Normally offers made on the basis of 3 full A-levels, to include the equivalent of two science A-levels from: Biology/Chemistry/Geography/Maths/Physics/Psychology/Geology/Environmental Science
General Studies: Only accepted if taken as one of four A levels
GCSE: Maths grade B and English Language grade C
Scottish Highers: AAABB
International Bacc: 36 pts overall with 16 pts from the best three HL subjects
Lancaster University has committed£3.7m in scholarships and bursariesto help with your fees and living costs. Our financial support depends on your circumstances and how well you do in your A-levels (or equivalent academic qualifications) before starting study with us.
Lancaster University's priority is to support every student to make the most of their life and education. For students starting their study with us in 2014, over 600 each year will be entitled to bursaries and/or scholarships to help them with the cost of fees and/or living expenses. For UK students entering in 2014 we will have the following financial support available:
AnAcademic Scholarship of £2,000for the first year of study to any student from the UK entering with A*, A*, A or equivalent academic qualificationsAnAccess Scholarship of £1,000per year for all UK students from households with an income of less than £42,600 who achieve grades of A*, A, A or the equivalent academic qualificationsALancaster Bursary of £1,000per annum for all students from England with a household income of more than £25,000 but less than £42,600As part of the National Scholarship Programme, a£1,000 Bursary,a£1,000 Fee Waiverand a£1,000 Accommodation Discountin the first year of study, for students from England with a household income of less than £25,000. Plus a Lancaster Bursary of £1,000 in subsequent years.
Please note that the National Scholarship Programme is currently under review. An update on the support available, as part of the National Scholarship programme, will be available by Monday 16 December 2013.
For full details of the University's financial support packages including eligibility criteria, please visit our fees and funding page
- Biological Sciences : BSc Hons
- Biological Sciences : MSci Hons
- Biological Sciences (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science : MSci Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Ecology and Conservation : BSc Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Economics and Geography : BA Hons
- Environmental Biology : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : MSci
- Environmental Change and Sustainable Development : BSc Hons
- Environmental Mathematics : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science and Technology : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science and Technology (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- French Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BSc Hons
- Geography (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Geography / North America : BA Hons
- Geography / North America : BSc Hons
- German Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Human Geography : BA Hons
- Physical Geography : BSc Hons
- Physical Geography / Australasia : BSc Hons
- Spanish Studies and Geography : BA Hons
Search Our Courses
UCAS Code: C154
For Entry: 2013, 2014
Duration: Full time 4 Year(s)
Department: Lancaster Environment Centre
Phone: +44 (0)1524 510460
For information on the course structure as followed by our current students, please see Lancaster University's Online Courses Handbook