Environmental Biology MSci Hons
What will you study?
Our integrated Masters programmes in Environmental Biology build on the three-year BSc degrees by providing a fourth year of Masters-level study. This final year takes advantage of the wealth of relevant Masters modules available in different disciplines within the Lancaster Environment Centre, ranging from Crop Protection to Environmental Management.
The first three years of the MSci degrees follow the same curriculum as the BSc degrees. In the fourth year, you will take the modules Biological Effects of Air Pollution and Climate Change, plus three further optional taught modules and an extended research project. This project will provide you with a real in-depth taste of scientific laboratory or field research, which will be invaluable experience for those considering a PhD or other research careers.
As with the BSc degree, the MSci scheme is available with a Study Abroad variant where you spend your second year in a partner university in the USA, Canada or Australasia.
Where could it take you?
Many of our graduates find work with organisations such as Natural England, the Centre of Ecology & Hydrology and the Environment Agency. Increasingly, students are also entering professions with environmental consultancies specialising in ecology, environmental impact, management and conservation. Others take on diverse roles within a range of organisations including water supply companies with a focus on catchment management and biodiversity. Our graduates also enter postgraduate research in areas such as plant science, environmental toxicology and forest ecosystem management, or have used the skills they learned for roles in teaching and other professions.
Lancaster University is dedicated to ensuring you not only gain a highly reputable degree, you also graduate with the relevant life and work based skills. We are unique in that every student is eligible to participate in The Lancaster Award which offers you the opportunity to complete key activities such as work experience, employability/career development, campus community and social development. Visit our Employability section for full details.
Typical entry requirements
For courses starting in 2015:
A-levels: AAA. to include the equivalent of two science A-levels from: Biology/Chemistry/Geography/Maths/Physics/Psychology.Normally offers made on the basis of 3 full A-levels
General Studies: Only accepted if taken as one of four A levels
GCSE: Maths grade B and English Language grade C
Scottish Highers: AAABB
International Bacc: 36 pts overall with 16 pts from the best three HL subjects
Lancaster University has committed£3.7m in scholarships and bursariesto help with your fees and living costs. Our financial support depends on your circumstances and how well you do in your A-levels (or equivalent academic qualifications) before starting study with us.
Lancaster University's priority is to support every student to make the most of their life and education. For students starting their study with us in 2015, over 600 each year will be entitled to bursaries and/or scholarships to help them with the cost of fees and/or living expenses. For UK students entering in 2015 we will have the following financial support available:AnAcademic Scholarship of £2,000for the first year of study to any student from the UK entering with A*, A*, A or equivalent academic qualificationsAnAccess Scholarship of £1,000per year for all UK students from households with an income of less than £42,600 who achieve grades of A*, A, A or the equivalent academic qualificationsALancaster Bursary of £1,000per annum for all students from England with a household income of more than £25,000 but less than £42,600
*All of the financial awards above are subject to approval by the Office for Fair Access July 2014.
For full details of the University's financial support packages including eligibility criteria, please visit our fees and funding page
Students will be required to pay for travel to field sites and will have to purchase wet weather clothing, boots and waterproof notebooks for fieldtrips for which the estimated cost is approximately £110. The course offers optional field trips and students will have to pay for any travel and accommodation costs. If students undertake placements then they may incur additional travel costs. Students on certain modules may wish to purchase a hand lens and compass clinometer but these may be borrowed from the Department.
Students also need to consider further costs which may include books, stationery, printing, photocopying, binding and general subsistence on trips and visits. Following graduation it may be necessary to take out subscriptions to professional bodies and to buy business attire for job interviews.
- Biological Sciences : BSc Hons
- Biological Sciences : MSci Hons
- Biological Sciences (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Biology : MSci Hons
- Biology : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science : MSci Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : MSci Hons
- Ecology and Conservation : BSc Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Economics and Geography : BA Hons
- Environmental Biology : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : MSci Hons
- Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science : MSci Hons
- Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : MSci Hons
- Environmental Science and Technology : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science and Technology (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- French Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BSc Hons
- Geography : MSci Hons
- Geography (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Geography / North America : BA Hons
- Geography / North America : BSc Hons
- Geography/North America : MSci Hons
- German Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Human Geography : BA Hons
- Physical Geography : BSc Hons
- Physical Geography : MSci Hons
- Physical Geography / Australasia : BSc Hons
- Physical Geography/Australasia : MSci Hons
- Spanish Studies and Geography : BA Hons
Search Our Courses
UCAS Code: C154
For Entry: 2015
Duration: Full time 4 Year(s)
Department: Lancaster Environment Centre
Phone: +44 (0)1524 510249
For information on the course structure as followed by our current students, please see Lancaster University's Online Courses Handbook