Environmental Science and Technology (Professional Experience) MSci Hons
What will you study?
New for October 2014 Lancaster’s MSci in Environmental Science and Technology (Professional Experience) builds on our BSc degree of the same name by providing a fourth year of Masters-level study and industrial experience. It is an interdisciplinary course which focuses on globally important environment management challenges and solutions to environmental problems. It is tailored to be relevant to UK and overseas students who seek experience of environmental processes and technologies. The degree focuses on the innovative pathways with businesses that are necessary in order to provide sustainable global solutions. A key feature of the course is a compulsory research project linked to an environmental technology company in your third year and a ten week placement in your final year.
You will begin your degree studying modules such as Environmental Issues for the 21st century, Environmental Processes and Systems and Hydrological Processes. You will then move on to more specialist second year modules such as Energy Technologies and Enterprise for the Environment. In your third year you will complete a research project and choose from the wide range of modules available such as Water Resource Management, Biological sensors and Hydrogeology.
You will continue into your fourth year studying masters-level modules including Water management, Pollution Microbiology and Chemical Risk Assessment. You will also undertake a dissertation and a ten-week placement with an environmental technology company in your final year. The internship will be generated by Lancaster Environment Centre’s unique in-house business unit who accommodate over 20 companies and have relationships with companies of all sizes around the world.
Where could it take you?
This course is designed to lead to careers in the environmental industry including public sector organisations, water, energy and chemical industries, consultancies and other organisations investigating environmental remediation and management. The combination of project work, professional placement and a focus on innovation technology will provide you with highly desirable skills which are highly sort after by employers both nationally and internationally.
Lancaster University is dedicated to ensuring you not only gain a highly reputable degree, but that you also graduate with relevant life and work based skills. We are unique in that every student is eligible to participate in The Lancaster Award which offers you the opportunity to complete key activities such as work experience, employability/career development, campus community and social development. Visit our Employability section for full details.
Typical entry requirements
For courses starting in 2014:
A level:AAB (to includeMaths; note that Chemistry is required to take Chemistry options)
Scottish Highers: ABBBB
International Bacc:35points overall with 16 points from the best 3 HL subjects
Mature students: Applications welcome. Interviewed if offer considered.
Lancaster University has committed£3.7m in scholarships and bursariesto help with your fees and living costs. Our financial support depends on your circumstances and how well you do in your A-levels (or equivalent academic qualifications) before starting study with us.
Lancaster University's priority is to support every student to make the most of their life and education. For students starting their study with us in 2014, over 600 each year will be entitled to bursaries and/or scholarships to help them with the cost of fees and/or living expenses. For UK students entering in 2014 we will have the following financial support available:
AnAcademic Scholarship of £2,000for the first year of study to any student from the UK entering with A*, A*, A or equivalent academic qualificationsAnAccess Scholarship of £1,000per year for all UK students from households with an income of less than £42,600 who achieve grades of A*, A, A or the equivalent academic qualificationsALancaster Bursary of £1,000per annum for all students from England with a household income of more than £25,000 but less than £42,600As part of the National Scholarship Programme, a£1,000 Bursary,a£1,000 Fee Waiverand a£1,000 Accommodation Discountin the first year of study, for students from England with a household income of less than £25,000. Plus a Lancaster Bursary of £1,000 in subsequent years.
Please note that the National Scholarship Programme is currently under review. An update on the support available, as part of the National Scholarship programme, will be available by Monday 16 December 2013.
For full details of the University's financial support packages including eligibility criteria, please visit our fees and funding page
- Biological Sciences : BSc Hons
- Biological Sciences : MSci Hons
- Biological Sciences (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science : MSci Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Ecology and Conservation : BSc Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Economics and Geography : BA Hons
- Environmental Biology : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology : MSci Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : MSci
- Environmental Change and Sustainable Development : BSc Hons
- Environmental Chemistry : BSc Hons
- Environmental Chemistry : MChem Hons
- Environmental Chemistry (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Chemistry (Study Abroad) : MChem Hons
- Environmental Mathematics : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science and Technology : BSc Hons
- French Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BSc Hons
- Geography (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Geography / North America : BA Hons
- Geography / North America : BSc Hons
- German Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Human Geography : BA Hons
- Physical Geography : BSc Hons
- Physical Geography / Australasia : BSc Hons
- Spanish Studies and Geography : BA Hons
Search Our Courses
UCAS Code: 7Y53
For Entry: 2013, 2014
Duration: Full time 4 Year(s)
Department: Lancaster Environment Centre
Phone: +44 (0)1524 510460
For information on the course structure as followed by our current students, please see Lancaster University's Online Courses Handbook