Environmental Science and Technology (Professional Experience) MSci Hons
What will you study?
Lancaster’s Environmental Science and Technology degree is an interdisciplinary course which focuses on globally important environmental management challenges and solutions to environmental problems. The degree focuses on the innovative pathways with business that are necessary in order to provide sustainable global solutions, and provides students with an understanding of both environmental processes and chemical or engineering applications. A key feature of the course is an internship with an environmental technology company, based in the UK or abroad.
You will begin your degree studying modules such as Environmental Issues for the 21st Century, Environmental Processes and Systems and Hydrological Processes. You’ll then move on to second year modules such as Energy Technologies and Enterprise for the Environment. In your third year you’ll complete a research project with a work placement and choose options from a wide variety of modules such as Water Resource Management, Environmental Radioactivity and Hydrogeology.
You will continue into your fourth year studying masters-level modules such as Pollution Microbiology and Chemical Risk Assessment. You'll also undertake a dissertation and a ten-week placement with an environmental technology company. The internship will be generated by Lancaster Environment Centre’s unique in-house business unit who accommodate over 20 companies and have relationships with companies of all sizes around the world.
Where could it take you?
This course is designed to lead to employment in the environmental industry including public sector organisations, water and energy industries, consultancies and other organisations investigating environmental remediation and management. The combination of an internship alongside a focus on innovation technology will provide you with highly desirable skills such as data analysis and interdisciplinary problem solving, which are sought after by employers.
Lancaster University is dedicated to ensuring you not only gain a highly reputable degree, but that you also graduate with relevant life and work based skills. We are unique in that every student is eligible to participate in The Lancaster Award which offers you the opportunity to complete key activities such as work experience, employability/career development, campus community and social development. Visit our Employability section for full details.
Typical entry requirements
For courses starting in 2015:
A level:AAB (to includeMathematics; please note that Chemistry is required to take Chemistry options)
Scottish Highers: ABBBB
International Bacc:35points overall with 16 points from the best 3 HL subjects
Mature students: Applications welcome. Interviewed if offer considered.
Lancaster University has committed£3.7m in scholarships and bursariesto help with your fees and living costs. Our financial support depends on your circumstances and how well you do in your A-levels (or equivalent academic qualifications) before starting study with us.
Lancaster University's priority is to support every student to make the most of their life and education. For students starting their study with us in 2015, over 600 each year will be entitled to bursaries and/or scholarships to help them with the cost of fees and/or living expenses. For UK students entering in 2015 we will have the following financial support available:
AnAcademic Scholarship of £2,000for the first year of study to any student from the UK entering with A*, A*, A or equivalent academic qualificationsAnAccess Scholarship of £1,000per year for all UK students from households with an income of less than £42,600 who achieve grades of A*, A, A or the equivalent academic qualificationsALancaster Bursary of £1,000per annum for all students from England with a household income of more than £25,000 but less than £42,600
*All of the financial awards above are subject to approval by the Office for Fair Access July 2014.
For full details of the University's financial support packages including eligibility criteria, please visit our fees and funding page
Students also need to consider further costs which may include books, stationery, printing, photocopying, binding and general subsistence on trips and visits. Following graduation it may be necessary to take out subscriptions to professional bodies and to buy business attire for job interviews.
- Biological Sciences : BSc Hons
- Biological Sciences : MSci Hons
- Biological Sciences (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science : MSci Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : MSci Hons
- Ecology and Conservation : BSc Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Economics and Geography : BA Hons
- Environmental Biology : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology : MSci Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : MSci Hons
- Environmental Change and Sustainable Development : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science : MSci Hons
- Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : MSci Hons
- Environmental Science and Technology : BSc Hons
- French Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BSc Hons
- Geography (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Geography / North America : BA Hons
- Geography / North America : BSc Hons
- German Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Human Geography : BA Hons
- Physical Geography : BSc Hons
- Physical Geography / Australasia : BSc Hons
- Spanish Studies and Geography : BA Hons
Search Our Courses
UCAS Code: 7Y53
For Entry: 2015
Duration: Full time 4 Year(s)
Department: Lancaster Environment Centre
Phone: +44 (0)1524 510460
For information on the course structure as followed by our current students, please see Lancaster University's Online Courses Handbook