Geography (Professional Experience) MSci Hons
What will you study?
New for October 2014 Lancaster’s MSci in Geography (Professional Experience) builds on our three-year BSc Geography by providing a fourth year of Masters-level study and work experience. The course will have a mixture of physical, environmental and human geography, with a bias in your module choice towards the scientific aspects of the subject such as ice, earth, water and environmental sustainability.
The first three years of the MSci follow the same Geography curriculum as our BSc degree. You will undertake an extensive course of study, gain a wide range of skills and have the opportunity to cover many innovative and exciting modules that make Geography at Lancaster distinctive. For example, we have an excellent range of field courses in locations from the Lake District to Croatia, Spain and Iceland. Employability is a major feature of this course and our modules help you get a foot on the career ladder, for example you could launch a teaching career with our unique Communicating Geography module that gives experience of working in a local school. Alongside this you can take options such as Enterprise for the Environment, where you work with academics and staff from companies based in our Environment Centre, or take a business-based dissertation.
In your fourth year you will take four modules from the wide range of masters-level modules on offer by our Environment Centre including Disaster Management, Sustainable Systems and Low-Carbon Energy Use. You will also undertake a dissertation and crucially, a ten week placement with a graduate employer. This will give you an introduction to a graduate employer and experience at a critical stage of your study.
Where could it take you?
Our Geography (Professional Experience) degree will prepare you for professional careers in areas related to many aspects of the environment, business and public service such as water management, teaching, and environmental consultants. Moreover, the unique set of skills that are embedded in Geography and experience that you will gain during your fourth-year placement, will mean that you will stand out in the competitive graduate job market. Geographers gain transferable skills that are as relevant to broad management-level positions as they are to further research and study.
Lancaster University is dedicated to ensuring you not only gain a highly reputable degree, but that you also graduate with relevant life and work based skills. We are unique in that every student is eligible to participate in The Lancaster Award which offers you the opportunity to complete key activities such as work experience, employability/career development, campus community and social development. Visit our Employability section for full details.
Typical entry requirements
For courses starting in 2014:
A level: AAA including Geography
Scottish Highers: AAABB
International Bacc:36 points overall with 16 points from the best 3 HL subjects
Mature students: Applications welcome. Interviewed if offer considered.
Lancaster University has committed£3.7m in scholarships and bursariesto help with your fees and living costs. Our financial support depends on your circumstances and how well you do in your A-levels (or equivalent academic qualifications) before starting study with us.
Lancaster University's priority is to support every student to make the most of their life and education. For students starting their study with us in 2014, over 600 each year will be entitled to bursaries and/or scholarships to help them with the cost of fees and/or living expenses. For UK students entering in 2014 we will have the following financial support available:
AnAcademic Scholarship of £2,000for the first year of study to any student from the UK entering with A*, A*, A or equivalent academic qualificationsAnAccess Scholarship of £1,000per year for all UK students from households with an income of less than £42,600 who achieve grades of A*, A, A or the equivalent academic qualificationsALancaster Bursary of £1,000per annum for all students from England with a household income of more than £25,000 but less than £42,600As part of the National Scholarship Programme, a£1,000 Bursary,a£1,000 Fee Waiverand a£1,000 Accommodation Discountin the first year of study, for students from England with a household income of less than £25,000. Plus a Lancaster Bursary of £1,000 in subsequent years.
Please note that the National Scholarship Programme is currently under review. An update on the support available, as part of the National Scholarship programme, will be available by Monday 16 December 2013.
For full details of the University's financial support packages including eligibility criteria, please visit our fees and funding page
- Biological Sciences : BSc Hons
- Biological Sciences : MSci Hons
- Biological Sciences (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science : MSci Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Ecology and Conservation : BSc Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Economics and Geography : BA Hons
- Environmental Biology : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology : MSci Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : MSci
- Environmental Change and Sustainable Development : BSc Hons
- Environmental Chemistry : BSc Hons
- Environmental Chemistry : MChem Hons
- Environmental Chemistry (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Chemistry (Study Abroad) : MChem Hons
- Environmental Mathematics : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science and Technology : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science and Technology (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- French Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BSc Hons
- Geography / North America : BA Hons
- Geography / North America : BSc Hons
- German Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Human Geography : BA Hons
- Physical Geography : BSc Hons
- Physical Geography / Australasia : BSc Hons
- Spanish Studies and Geography : BA Hons
Search Our Courses
UCAS Code: 4R60
For Entry: 2013, 2014
Duration: Full time 4 Year(s)
Department: Lancaster Environment Centre
Phone: +44 (0)1524 510460
For information on the course structure as followed by our current students, please see Lancaster University's Online Courses Handbook