Physical Geography / Australasia BSc Hons
What will you study?
Physical Geography is the scientific study of the physical and environmental aspects of geography. It enables you to develop a broad understanding of environmental processes, covering areas including biogeography, geomorphology, environment and society and sustainability.
Physical Geography at Lancaster is a very interactive degree, combining theory and a lot of field and laboratory-based studies aimed at developing your knowledge of physical processes and how human activity affects physical geography.
You will be able to follow innovative modules including Glacial Systems, Earth Surface Processes, Enterprise for the Environment, Holocene Environmental Change, Environmental Magnetism and Glacier-Landscape Interactions.
Students on our Physical Geography/Australasia degree will spend the third year of their studies at a top university in New Zealand or Australia.
Where could it take you?
Geographers are welcomed in education, whether that's teaching or taking your learning to MSc or PhD level in specialist fields. Recent graduates have chosen to continue their studies in Geology, Environmental Science and Environmental Technology. Many Geography/Australasia graduates go on to further study in New Zealand or Australia.
Physical Geography graduates have also found roles recently as Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and scientific officers, with local authority, private sector and government agency employers, such as the Forestry Commission.
Lancaster University is dedicated to ensuring you not only gain a highly reputable degree, you also graduate with the relevant life and work based skills. We are unique in that every student is eligible to participate in The Lancaster Award which offers you the opportunity to complete key activities such as work experience, employability/career development, campus community and social development. Visit our Employability section for full details.
Typical entry requirements
For courses starting in 2014:
A-level:AAA inc. Geography or a cognate subject.
General Studies: Not accepted
Key skills: Not included in offer
GCSE: English and Maths (grade C in each)
Scottish Highers: AAABB, inc. Geog or a cognate subject
Irish Leaving Cert: Offers will be made on the basis of 5 or 6 Higher level subjects. Please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office (01524 592028) for further information
International Bacc: 36 pts overall with 16 pts from best three HL courses inc. Geog at higher level
Mature students: Applications welcomed; you may be offered a place after interview even without the usual qualifications. Please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office (01524 592028) for further information
Lancaster University has committed£3.7m in scholarships and bursariesto help with your fees and living costs. Our financial support depends on your circumstances and how well you do in your A-levels (or equivalent academic qualifications) before starting study with us.
Lancaster University's priority is to support every student to make the most of their life and education. For students starting their study with us in 2014, over 600 each year will be entitled to bursaries and/or scholarships to help them with the cost of fees and/or living expenses. For UK students entering in 2014 we will have the following financial support available:
AnAcademic Scholarship of £2,000for the first year of study to any student from the UK entering with A*, A*, A or equivalent academic qualificationsAnAccess Scholarship of £1,000per year for all UK students from households with an income of less than £42,600 who achieve grades of A*, A, A or the equivalent academic qualificationsALancaster Bursary of £1,000per annum for all students from England with a household income of more than £25,000 but less than £42,600As part of the National Scholarship Programme, a£1,000 Bursary,a£1,000 Fee Waiverand a£1,000 Accommodation Discountin the first year of study, for students from England with a household income of less than £25,000. Plus a Lancaster Bursary of £1,000 in subsequent years.
Please note that the National Scholarship Programme is currently under review. An update on the support available, as part of the National Scholarship programme, will be available by Monday 16 December 2013.
For full details of the University's financial support packages including eligibility criteria, please visit our fees and funding page
- Biological Sciences : BSc Hons
- Biological Sciences : MSci Hons
- Biological Sciences (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science : MSci Hons
- Earth and Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Ecology and Conservation : BSc Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Ecology and Conservation (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Economics and Geography : BA Hons
- Environmental Biology : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology : MSci Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Biology (Study Abroad) : MSci
- Environmental Change and Sustainable Development : BSc Hons
- Environmental Mathematics : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science and Technology : BSc Hons
- Environmental Science and Technology (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- French Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BA Hons
- Geography : BSc Hons
- Geography (Professional Experience) : MSci Hons
- Geography / North America : BA Hons
- Geography / North America : BSc Hons
- German Studies and Geography : BA Hons
- Human Geography : BA Hons
- Physical Geography : BSc Hons
- Spanish Studies and Geography : BA Hons
Search Our Courses
UCAS Code: F847
For Entry: 2013, 2014
Duration: Full time 4 Year(s)
Department: Lancaster Environment Centre
Phone: +44 (0)1524 510460
For information on the course structure as followed by our current students, please see Lancaster University's Online Courses Handbook