Combining Health Information,
Computation and Statistics
CHICAS is a statistics research group based in the Faculty of Health and Medicine at Lancaster University. Research in CHICAS is concerned with the development and application of novel statistical and epidemiological methods, motivated by substantive problems in the biomedical and health sciences. Members of this research group contribute to the cross-faculty research theme on Biostatistics and Epidemiology.
Work in CHICAS comprises:
- Methodological research in the fields of spatial and longitudinal statistics, with an emphasis on health outcomes, and in the field of environmental epidemiology
- Collaborative work with universities, and national and international health agencies on investigating the risk factors for, and distributions of, a wide range of health outcomes
- Postgraduate and continuing professional development training in statistics and epidemiology
Research in CHICAS is concerned with the development and application of novel statistical methods motivated by substantive problems in the biomedical and health sciences. The unit has particular methodological expertise in spatial and spatio-temporal statistical models and methods, environmental epidemiology, longitudinal data analysis and hierarchical modelling. For more information see the CHICAS Research section of the site.
Research Design Service
Through the National Institute for Health Research, we offer a free Research Design Service for NHS staff in the North West region to develop the statistical content of research applications. We work closely with colleagues in the NHS and other health agencies locally, nationally and internationally, and encourage proposals for collaborative work. Further information on the Research Design Service is available here.
We welcome applications from prospective PhD students. For more information, see the section on postgraduate opportunities.
- Peter Diggle - Distinguished University Professor
- Cathy Thomson - PA to Prof. Diggle
- Tom Keegan - Lecturer in Epidemiology
- Anna Hart - Lecturer in Medical Statistics
- Ben Taylor - Lecturer in Biostatistics
- Barry Rowlingson - Senior Research Associate
- Paula Moraga - Research Associate
- Kirk Allen - Research Associate
- Alison Hale - Research Associate
Current Postgraduate Students
Current Staff Vacancies
Much of our work is grant-funded, and staff vacancies arise from time to time as new projects begin. All such vacancies are advertised on Allstat and/or jobs.ac.uk. For more information on specific vacancies, please contact Professor Peter Diggle.
How to Find Us
CHICAS is located on B floor of Furness, which is marked (No. 42) on the campus map.