|Home > Seminars > VIII >|
Harley 2253 has two parts. The first, comprising folios 1r–48v, was written in a professional, late thirteenth-century, textura and is the work of a single scribe. Its contents comprise hagiographical texts in Anglo-Norman French. It contains, for example, an extract about the Passion of Jesus Christ from the versified history of the Bible by Hermann of Valenciennes (fols. 23r–32v). The second part, comprising folios 49r–140v and 142rv, was written in a later medieval bookhand known as Anglicana formata, a more formal version of the business script current in the mid fourteenth century. Except for folio 52v, it is also the work of a single scribe, one who has been identified as a professional copyist active in or near Ludlow in Southern Shropshire from 1314 to c. 1349. He produced many charters and other datable documents, and Harley 2253 may be dated by reference to the evolution of his technique in his final period—that is, to after c. 1330. Its contents comprise a much discussed miscellany made up of texts in three languages: Middle English, Anglo-Norman, and Latin. It is chiefly the second part that concerns us.
Much discussed, the second section is remarkable for the diversity of its contents. It combines texts in many different genres, embracing both prose and verse and covering all manner of subjects religious and secular. Religious texts such as ‘The Harrowing of Hell’ (fols. 55va–56vb) and the ‘Debate between the Body and the Soul’ (fols. 57r–58v) are to be found alongside secular lyrics such as ‘The Lament for Simon de Montfort’ (fol. 59rv) and ‘The fair maid of Ribblesdale’ (fol. 66v). Even among the texts of the same generic type there is much diversity. There are, for example, some great contrasts among the hagiographical contents. Some are associated with the West Midlands, such as the otherwise unknown Legenda de sancto etfrido presbitero de Leominstria, ‘That which must be read about St Ecgfrith, the priest of Leominster’ (fols. 132r–133r). But there are also items relating to cults far removed from the region, such as a letter authenticating an arca, or ‘chest’, still preserved in the Camara Santa at Oviedo (Spain). It lists the relics contained within the arca, other relics at Oviedo, and the privileges granted to the pilgrims by the bishops and clergy of the see (fols. 131v–132r). Such diversity is difficult to explain. There would seem to be some kind of hidden rationale to the selection and arrangement of the texts, but that rationale has proved elusive.
With leaves measuring 280–290×190mm, Harley 2253 is a middle to large format book. Though the layout varies between a single and double columns, the texts are usually confined to an area which measures 215 × 145mm. The dialect of the Middle English items in the second section, and the incorporation into the binding of fragments of the Mortimer family’s financial records, and also of extracts from the ordinal of Hereford Cathedral point to an origin in the West Midlands. (The main seat of the Mortimer family was at Wigmore Castle in northern Herefordshire.) This provenance was confirmed in the 1970s when Carter Revard identified the scribe of the second section as a professional copyist based in or near Ludlow.
The book was later owned by John Batteley (1647–1708; archdeacon of Canterbury from 1688–1708), a Church of England clergyman and an antiquary whose nephew sold to it together with the rest of his collection to Edward Harley (5 November 1723). It thus became part of the great collection of manuscripts assembed by Robert Harley, the first earl of Oxford (1661–1724), and his son Edward Harley (1689–1741). This library was later sold to the nation in 1753 by Edward’s daughter and heir, Margaret Cavendish Bentinck (1715–1785). By this route the Harley manuscripts became one of the foundation collections of the British Library.
Printed Facsimile: Ker, N. R. (ed.), Facsimile of British Museum MS. Harley 2253, Early English Text Society, o.s. 255 (Oxford, 1965). Shelved in Journals Y6 under 'Early English Text Society', vol. 255. Ker reproduces the second section of the manuscript.
Full Description: Ker provides a detailed list of its contents (available via Moodle); a thorough list may also be accessed at Manuscripts of the West Midlands: A Catalogue of Vernacular Manuscript Books of the English West Midlands, c.1300–c.1475; the British Library Catalogue of Illuminated Manuscripts includes a brief description, but it has a relatively full bibliography.
Editions and Translations
Contact Details: Department of History, Lancaster University, Lancaster LA1 4YT, UNITED KINGDOM | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Tel: +44-1524-592554 | Fax: +44-1524-846102.
Credits: This site was designed by Dr Paul Hayward. Please report any problems to email@example.com.
Copyright: Department of History, Lancaster University | Disclaimer: as for the university's website.