Dr. Zhan Pang
Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor)
Office Hours: Monday 2PM-4PM or by appointment in Room A59
Assessing the Strategic Role and Economic Value of Energy Storage in the Presence of Renewable Supply and Smart Grid
My current interest in energy area focuses on the strategic role and value of energy storage for the energy systems with intermittent renewable supply. I work closely with my colleague Stein W. Wallace and Ph.D. student Pedro Crespo Del Granado. We use a bottom-up approach, investigating the operating strategies and the value of energy storage from the end users' perspective. We have modeled varieties of end user systems, from residential (domestic) houses and community systems. We also tested our models with real-life data not only to demonstrater how they work but also to provide practical insights. We also interact with organizations actively to seek opportunities to put our theory in practice or build the theory from practice.
Working papers and publications:
- The Value of Energy Storage in Domestic Homes: A Smart Grid Perspective(with Pedro Crespo Del Granado and Stein W. Wallace ), Energy Systems, forthcoming.
- The Value of Electricity Storage for Distributed Energy Systems with Wind Power: A Stochastic Programming Approach (with Pedro Crespo Del Granado and Stein W. Wallace ).
Energy Management for Internet Data Centers (IDCs) and Cloud Computing
- Hedging Against Uncertainty: A Tale of Internet Data Center Operations under Smart Grid Environment (with Lei Rao, Xue Liu and Le Xie). IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 2 (3) 2011, 555-56
FOOD SUPPLY CHAINS AND FOOD SECURITY
Food Supply Chain Coordination
Grocery Pricing and Inventory Management
- Dynamic Pricing and Promotion Strategies for Perishable Products.
- Coordinating Inventory Control and Pricing Strategies for Perishable Products (with Xin Chen and Limeng Pan). Operations Research, forthcoming, 2014.
Commodity Price Risk Management
- Dynamic Financial Hedging Strategies for a Stochastic Commodity with Demand Uncertainty (with Panos Kouvelis and Qing Ding), submitted, 2013.