- Our paper Towards Tracking and Analysing Regional Alcohol Consumption Patterns in the UK through the use of Social Media authored with Daniel Kershaw and Patrick Stacey won the best student paper award at the Web Science Conference 2014!
- MSc in Data Science with Computing Specialism is due to start in the 2014-2015 academic year. 45 fee-paid scholarships are available.
- New NERC-funded project starting in June 2014 'Analysis of historic drought and water scarcity in the UK: a systems-based study of drivers, impacts and their interactions'. Research will be conducted into Language Cascade Mining from Social Media
AboutMy core research interest is in the area of Social Computing where I examine how users engage with the social web and social media, how such engagement evolves over time, and the factors that are linked with such changes. To facilitate my research I examine the following topics:
- Automated prediction methods based on machine learning (i.e. objective optimisation techniques)
- Data mining using statistical models and scalable pattern recognition techniques
- The semantic web and linked data, including user and community representation paradigms
- Identity disambiguation and coreference resolution
Before joining Lancaster I worked for two years (2010-2012) as a Research Assciate at the Knowledge Media Institute (KMi) at the Open University, Milton Keynes, on the EU-Funded Integrated Project ROBUST. On the project I worked on semantic models of user behaviour, role mining and community health and behaviour change prediction methods. Before joining KMi I studied for a Ph.D. (2006-2010) under the supervision of Prof. Fabio Ciravegna at the University of Sheffield. My Ph.D. thesis explored automated identity disambiguation methods and how such methods could be supported using Social Data leveraged from Social Web platforms such as Facebook, MySpace and Twitter.
- Predicting Online Community Churners using Gaussian Sequences. M Rowe. In the proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Social Informatics. Barcelona, Spain. (2014)
- Adaptive decision making in multi-cloud management. F Samreen, G S Blair and M Rowe. In the proceedings of the CrossCloud Brokers workshop at the ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware Conference. Bordeaux, France. (2014)
- Special Issue on the Semantics of Microposts: Editorial | Papers. A Dadzie, M Rowe and M Stankovic. In the Semantic Web Journal. (2014)
- Transferring Semantic Categories with Vertex Kernels: Recommendations with SemanticSVD++. M Rowe. To appear in the proceedings of the International Semantic Web Conference. Trentino, Italy. (2014)
- SemanticSVD++: Incorporating Semantic Taste Evolution for Predicting Ratings. M Rowe. In the proceedings of the International Conference on Web Intelligence 2014. Warsaw, Poland. (2014)
TeachingI am director of the MSc Data Science (Computing Specialism). I currently teach the following modules:
- SCC.130 Information Systems - Social and professional issues of information systems (censorship, privacy, surveillance, copyright, patent law, malware, viruses)
- SCC.321 Selected Research Topics - Social data analysis, reviewing methods and research skills
- SCC.400 Professional and Research Methodology - Research languages, research methods and strategies, peer-reviewing papers and proposals, and ethics
- SCC.403 Data Mining - Data representation using semantics, machine learning, and statistical methods
- SCC.413 Applied Data Mining - Semantic web, social networks, recommender systems, network and web science, information extraction and retrieval, and scalable data processing
- SCC.460 Data Science Fundamentals - Data collection and cleaning, quantifying biases, and modelling and applying data.
- SCC.461 Programming for Data Scientists - Object-oriented programming principles, abstract data types, and data integration and computaional diambiguation
Ph.D. Student SupervisionI currently supervise the following Ph.D. students:
- Analysis of historic drought and water scarcity in the UK: a systems-based study of drivers, impacts and their interactions. To start in June 2014. NERC funded for 4-years. SCC Role: Language Cascade Mining from Social Streams.
- Pattern Analsysis for aTTention Economics in Social web systems (PATTES). 2013-2014. Lancaster Unviersity Internal Funding.
Program Committee Memberships
- Reviewer for the World Wide Web Journal
- Reviewer for the Journal of Web Semantics
- Reviewer for ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology
- Reviewer for the Semantic Web Journal
- 2015: AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence 2015, Extended Semantic Web Conference 2015
- 2014: International Conference on Social Computing 2014, SEMANTICS Conference 2014, ACM Web Science Conference 2014, ACM Hypertext Conference 2014, Web Science track at the World Wide Web Conference 2014, AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence 2014, Confefence on User Modelling, Adaptation and Personalisation (UMAP) 2014, Extended Semantic Web Conference 2014 (Social Web and Web Science Track Chair), International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM) 2014 (Workshops), International Conference on Current Trends in Theory and Practice of Computer Science 2014
- 2013: International Semantic Web Conference 2013, International Semantic Web Conference 2013 (In-use track), 1st International IFIP Working Conference on Value-driven Social Semantics & Collective Intelligence (VaSCo), International Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM) 2013, International Conference on Knowledge Management and Knowkedge Technologies 2013, ACM Conference on Multimedia Retrieval, ACM Web Science Conference 2013, AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence 2013, ACM Hypertext and Social Media Conference 2013, Social Media and Semantic Technologies in Emergency Response Conference 2013, 2013 International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI), International Conference on Current Trends in Theory and Practice of Computer Science 2013.
- 2012: International Conference on Digital Information Management 2012, 8th International Conference on Semantic Systems, International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management 2012, Extended Semantic Web Conference 2012, IEEE International Conference on Social Computing 2012, AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence 2012, ACM Web Science Conference 2012, ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media 2012, Extended Semantic Web Conference 2012.
- 2011: International Conference on Digital Information Management 2011, Joint International Semantic Technology Conference 2011, International Semantic Web Conference 2011 (In-use track), Extended Semantic Web Conference 2011, International Conference on Social Computing and Applications 2011 (SCA2011).
- Co-organiser of the Making Sense of Microposts (#Microposts2014) workshop at the World Wide Web Conference 2014
- Invited Speaker at the Quality, Movivation and Coordination of Open Collaboration workshop at the International Conference on Social Informatics 2013
- Track chair for the Social Web and Web Science track at the Extended Semantic Web Conference 2014
- Co-organiser of Making Sense of Microposts (#MSM2013) workshop at the World Wide Web Conference 2013
- Editorial Board member for the International Journal on Web Engineering and Technologies
- Publicity and Communications Chair for the International Conference on Knowledge Capture 2013
- Guest Editor for a Special Issue on Visualisation of and Interaction with Semantic Web Data in the International Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems
- Co-organiser of Making Sense of Microposts (#MSM2012) workshop at the World Wide Web Conference 2012
- Tutor at the Extended Semantic Web Conference 2012 Summer School in Kalamaki, Crete
- Invited Keynote Speaker at the Detecting and Exploiting Cultural Diversity on the Social Web Workshop at the 20th Annual ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management
- Guest Editor for a Special Issue on 'the Semantics of Microposts' in the Semantic Web Journal
- PhD Symposium mentor at the Extended Semantic Web Conference 2011
- Co-organiser of Making Sense of Microposts (#MSM2011) workshop at the Extended Semantic Web Conference 2011
- Tutor at the IEEE Summer school on Semantic Computing, University of Berkeley, CA, USA, August 2011
- Coordinator of Semantic Web Technologies Activity at the Extended Semantic Web Conference 2011
- Co-organiser of Essential HCI for the Semantic Web Tutorial at the Extended Semantic Web Conference 2010
- Invited Expert for the W3C Social Web Incubator Group