Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLDs) including dyslexia

Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLDs) including dyslexia

The majority of students at Lancaster University with a declared disability have a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) such as dyslexia. This information is for students who have or suspect they may have a SpLD


Diagnosis

If you have not been formally diagnosed, but think you may have a specific learning difficulty (SpLD), there are a number of options open to you:

  1. Take the QuickScan test
    This is an online test in which you answer a series of questions. It takes about 15 minutes and, although it is subjective, can be a useful guide to show if you have indicators for a SpLD. This is not a formal diagnosis, however, and would be insufficient evidence for receiving study-related support. To take the test you will need to be a registered student (as you have to log in via the Moodle Virtual Learning Environment). For more information on how to access the test, please refer to our QuickScan student instructions.

  2. Speak to a Disability Adviser
    You may wish to speak to a Disability Adviser who can discuss your difficulties and family history to best advise you of your options. To book an appointment, please call us on: 01524 592111.

  3. Assessment with an Educational Psychologist
    There are appointments available on campus every week during term-time with professional educational psychologists. These last approximately an hour and a half. As a student, you will be expected to pay 30% towards the cost of this, with the University paying the remaining 70%. Failure to attend or cancel with more than 24 hours notice may result in you still being charged.

Please note: Due to limited funds and the numbers of students seeking diagnosis the university contribution towards the cost of an SpLD assessment will be reduced to a 50% contribution from January 2018.  This change will allow us to continue to support as many students as possible with the cost of an assessment.  However, as the total financial contribution towards these assessments each year is limited, there will be no financial contribution available once all funds for the academic year have been used. We will still be able to arrange an appointment for an SpLD assessment, but no financial contribution will be available. Please check about the availability of funding at the time of booking.  If you would like to arrange an assessment for an SpLD please contact the Disability Service on 01524 592111.  

QuickScan

We would normally suggest that you take the QuickScan online test. While this cannot provide conclusive evidence of a Specific Learning Difficulty, it can be a useful guide as to whether you show indicators for one. As it is rather subjective, we would suggest that you also arrange to meet with a Disability Adviser to discuss the result of your QuickScan test (regardless of the result). By discussing your family history and experiences we can better advise you on getting a formal assessment.

Assessment with an Educational Psychologist

There are appointments available on campus every week during term-time with professional educational psychologists. These last approximately an hour and a half. As a student, you will be expected to pay a contribution to the cost of this, with the University paying the remainder. Please contact the Disability Service for more information about booking appointments and how much they cost. Failure to attend or cancel with more than 24 hours notice may result in you still being charged.

 

Resources

  • Visit our services pages for information on the support available to disabled students at the University.
  • If you would like to find out more about SpLDs, we have produced some definitions for staff at Lancaster University.
  • We have also set up an inclusive teaching section, outlining guidance to staff to help make courses as accessible as possible for all students.