A health centre, dentist and pharmacy are all available on campus


On-campus health centre

All students can register with the Health Centre on campus and the King Street surgery in Lancaster city. Appointments may be made with the receptionist who is available from 8am-6.30pm Monday to Friday. If you are too ill to attend the surgeries, contact King Street Surgery +44 (0)1524 541651 and a visit will be arranged.

Most appointments are Monday to Friday day time, but evening and Saturday morning appointments are sometimes available. For further information, please call +44 (0)1524 387780 or University extension 94130.


A BUPA-accredited dental clinic on campus offers private treatment from 9am–1pm and 1.30–5pm on Monday, Thursday and Friday. The dental clinic premises are adjacent to Bailrigg House. An emergency call-out service is available to registered patients. Appointments may be made by telephoning +44 (0)1524 594595.

There is also a dental helpline for patients wishing to access an NHS dentist. Callers are asked to leave their details, which will be entered on to a database. The patient is then contacted when an NHS dentist becomes available. The number to call is +44 (0)1253 956 378.


Located next to the dental clinic, the pharmacy is available to dispense prescriptions. Contact the Pharmacy on extension +44 (0)1524 594598. Opening hours are 11am-1pm and 2–6pm Monday to Friday in term times, and 11am–5pm during University vacations. There is a late night pharmacy in Lancaster city, at Great John Street near the Town Hall. Telephone +44 (0)1524 32310.

Holistic therapies

For those who prefer alternative therapies, there are a number of natural health care practitioners based on campus in the Chaplaincy Centre. At present they offer acupuncture, holistic massage, reflexology, shiatsu, medical herbalism, aromatherapy and homeopathy.

Healthcare costs

You should check your eligibility for free services provided by the National Health Service, the UK’s state health provider.

If you are travelling to Lancaster from a European Economic Area country, you should read this Healthcare leaflet.

If you are travelling from outside the EEA, as part of your immigration/Tier 4 visa application you may be required to pay towards the cost of Health Services.  You can find out if you are required to pay this charge and how to make a payment at the government NHS charges page

From April 2015, an immigration health charge (referred to in this guidance as the health surcharge) will be payable by non-EEA nationals who apply for a visa to enter or remain in the UK for more than six months. People with indefinite leave to remain in the UK and those not subject to immigration control (eg diplomats posted to the UK) are not liable to pay the surcharge, but may be ordinarily resident and entitled to free NHS healthcare on that basis (see Chapter 3 for information about ordinary residence).

Payment of the health surcharge entitles the payer to NHS-funded healthcare on the same basis as someone who is ordinarily resident. They are entitled to free NHS services, including NHS hospital care, except for services for which a UK ordinary resident must also pay, such as dentistry and prescriptions in England.

Payment of the health surcharge is mandatory when making an immigration application, subject to exemptions for certain categories of people and the discretion of the Home Secretary to reduce, waive or refund all or part of a surcharge payment. Most of these groups also receive NHS-funded healthcare on the same basis as an ordinarily resident person.

The exemptions to paying the health surcharge are as follows:

(i) persons who apply for entry clearance where the leave to enter is for six months or less;
(ii) persons who apply for entry clearance under the Immigration Rules as visitors;
(iii) those who apply for entry clearance or leave to remain under the Immigration Rules as a Tier 2 intra-company migrant transfer and their dependants;
(iv) a child who applies for leave to remain and is looked after by a Local Authority (or a Local Authority or Authority in other devolved administrations);
(v) a person, and their dependants, who makes an application for leave to remain.

You can find the full information regarding the NHS surcharges


Health insurance

Even if you are entitled to free NHS treatment, you may want to think about taking out insurance that covers additional possible costs resulting from illness. These can include:

  • Loss of fees if you are unable to complete your course
  • Additional treatment and medical expenses not covered by the NHS
  • Costs of returning home if a relative is taken ill
  • Costs of a relative visiting you in the UK if you fall ill
  • Returning to your home country for treatment.

If you already have medical insurance in your home country, check whether you can extend it to cover your stay in the UK, as well as looking at options available from UK insurers.