Register a change of name and gender

If you are a transgender student transitioning to a different gender, we will update gender information on our University records based on information you provide on the change of name form.

To action a change of name and gender you should print off and complete the ‌change of name and gender form.

You must provide at least one of the appropriate supporting documents when requesting a change to your name. We do not require any evidence to support your change of gender.

In order to update your name, we will require evidence of a legal name change, therefore you will need to return the change of name and gender identity form together with one of the following pieces of supporting documentation:

  • Change of name deed (previously known as a 'Deed Poll')

A change of name deed is a formal statement to prove that your name has been changed. You can change any part, add or remove names and hyphens, or change spelling. It doesn't cost anything to make your own Deed Poll although specialist agencies and solicitors may charge a fee to do it for you. There are a number of free online sites that provide printable forms, for example

  • Statutory declaration

A statutory declaration is a statement recording your intention to change your name. For most purposes, a statutory declaration is generally accepted as evidence of your change of name. You can make your own statutory declaration and print it out but you will have to have your declaration witnessed by a solicitor or a Justice of the Peace (JP). This means that you'll have to sign it in their presence. They will also need to sign it and add their details. You will usually have to pay a small fee for having your declaration witnessed; typically between £5 and £10.

  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Driving license

Submit the completed form along with appropriate evidence at the Base. If you are sending the information by post, please supply a stamped addressed envelope so we can return your original documents. 

If you are a graduate of Lancaster, further information is available about the re-issuing documentation for transgender alumni.

You may also like to look at the Student Registry policy for name change.