Performing Death, Desire and Gender
This module has the following Subject Specific aims:
- To enhance students’ understanding of Shakespearean drama and early modern theatre practices through a historicist examination of different dramatic forms (household entertainment, court masque, professional theatre script)
- To broaden student’s understanding of Shakespearean drama by considering texts written by men and women.
- To develop understanding of the historical, cultural and performance contexts of the texts
- To enhance understanding of how ceremonies were and continue to be very powerful political tools for shaping human behaviour.
- To develop understanding of how ceremony serves to structure human emotions in situations of potential or actual conflict