This module explores the interactions that take place both within and between cells and which allow them to perform their function in the whole organism. Students will consider five key topics within cell biology:
- The methods used to study cells and the dynamic nature of the cytoskeleton
- The mechanisms and physiological significance of transport across membranes
- The mechanisms involved in cells receiving and acting upon information from outside of the cell
- The mechanisms of development of whole organisms, examining how individual cells become committed to a particular function as development occurs
- The regulation of the cell cycle, growth, and development. We will illustrate these topics using examples drawn from a range of biological system.