Tutorial rather than lecture or seminar based, this module provides opportunity to undertake a concentrated and focussed study of a topic, theme or subject which is of interest to the student and for which appropriate supervisory coverage and academic resourcing are available. Student learning is facilitated by five hours of tutorial support.
The subject specialist tutor who supervises the student will:
• advise on whether the student’s planned area of research is appropriate
• give guidance regarding the nature and format of the essay
• give guidance on the planning of the essay
• give feedback on a draft of the essay provided by the student
The student will:
• formulate a topic as a clearly defined research problem
• produce a reading list of relevant literature
• produce the outline/early draft of an essay on the basis of the research for
comments by the supervisor
Assessment is a 5,000 word essay.