This summer programme gives an overview of British culture, history and politics over the past three hundred years, focussing on crucial historical events and their impact on Britain. It can be taken as a stand-alone programme or prior to study at Lancaster or another British university.
Introducing Britain is equivalent to a first-year undergraduate Lancaster University course. Students who complete this course are awarded 3 US / 6 ECTS credits or 4 US / 8 ECTS credits. The amount of credits depends on which version of the course the student chooses.
Lancaster University has a well-established Understanding Britain summer programme (formerly known as the International Summer Programme) that can be taken as a stand-alone programme or prior to study at Lancaster or another British university.
It is taught over four weeks, and provides an opportunity to experience life at a British University while learning about the history and culture of the UK, and specifically the North-West of England. Many of our study abroad and exchange students participate in this course as the credits (4 US or 8 ECTS), when combined with our ten-week Michaelmas term, carry the weighting of a full semester.
Study Start Programme (SSP)
Study Start is a 2-week induction course designed to help international students get the best possible start for their degree at Lancaster University. Study Start will not only help you find the answers to key questions you might have, such as:
- How will I get used to my new university?
- Where is the library and how does it work?
- How can I get good marks on my assignments and exams?
It aims to help you become an independent and confident student. You will learn how to get the most out of being at a world-renowned university.
English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
The English for Academic Purposes (Study Skills) programme is for international students intending to study at Lancaster University, and who are required or wish to improve their English language and study skills before starting their study abroad experience.
International Cultural Experience (ICE)
The International Cultural Exchange Programme (ICE) is a three-week credit-bearing experience designed to develop your cultural awareness and position yourself as a global citizen, encouraging you to work collaboratively and communicate within internationalised teams of people here on the Lancaster campus and across the UK.
22nd July – 11th August
You will be based in Lancaster, a conveniently located city full of history and culture. You will meet over 200 others including; UK based students from a multitude of backgrounds as well as those from Lancaster’s partners around the world.
This 10-credit Lancaster module will support the development of skills and knowledge through:
- Guest Lectures from Lancaster academics
- Industry visits within the region to learn about the social and economic impact
- Team-building and culture awarenes sessions
- Learning about work culture in the UK
- Learning about British politics and social change
- Entrepreneurial skills development
- Student reflection and presentation
- Leadership and team work including collaboration with others to accomplish a common goal
Some of the highlights of our programme are:
- Being part of a College: Lancaster University is a collegiate University and upon arrival you will be welcomed into one of the eight undergraduate colleges on campus. This will give you a chance to work and bond with students from all over the world
- A three day trip to London; explore the capital of the UK, staying in accommodation in the centre of London and having the option to get involved in our student-run tours
- College Cup Day; a day full of sporting and intellectual rivalry, where colleges go head to head to win the famous College Cup.
- Showcase in a Day; whether you are a performer or a cameraman, you can get involved and help put together a huge event on campus, working with student media groups and our campus tech team
For more information about the programme you can download our ICE brochure.
If you are interested in taking part in the programme, please sign up here.