With the world's population fast approaching seven billion, one of the main challenges facing the human race is how to feed its people. It is estimated that a rise in food production of at least 50% will be needed by 2030, yet society expects that this additional food be delivered with reduced environmental impact.
Food production itself is only part of the problem. Food security isn't just about exploiting scientific and technological advances to increase crop yields, it is also about addressing the associated economic and social factors to enable people to access sufficient, safe and nutritious food.
This scheme aims to train the next generation of natural and social scientists who will tackle these challenges. It will give you the necessary interdisciplinary training and research, with an international focus.
The scheme provides an opportunity for postgraduate learning and professional development for those who are unable to commit to a full MSc programme. It can be taken as an intensive course over one or two terms, or could be spread over two years for those studying part-time. The award of a PgCert requires the successful completion of four 15 credit modules, selected from the modules available on the MSc Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security.
Director of Studies: Dr Ian Dodd
Entry Requirements: Upper second class honours degree, or its equivalent, in a relevant subject. We can also consider applicants with a lower second class (or equivalent) if they have relevant work experience (including voluntary work).
IELTS: 6.5 or equivalent
Assessment: Coursework/ exams
Funding: All applicants should consult www.lancs.ac.uk/pgfunding/
- Biological Science : PhD
- Business Management with Energy and Fuels from Waste : PgCert
- Contamination, Risk Assessment and Remediation : MSc
- Ecology (by research) : MSc
- Ecology and Conservation : MSc
- Ecology and Conservation : PgCert
- Energy and the Environment : MSc
- Environment and Development : MA
- Environment and Development : PgCert
- Environment and Development : MSc
- Environment and Law : LLM/MA
- Environment, Culture and Society : MA
- Environment, Culture and Society : MSc
- Environmental Management and Consultancy : MA
- Environmental Science (by research) : MSc (research)
- Environmental Science : PhD
- Environmental Science and Technology : MSc
- Environmental Science and Technology : PgCert
- Environmental and Biochemical Toxicology : MSc
- Geography : PhD
- Human Rights and the Environment : LLM/MA
- International Innovation : MSc
- International MSc in Environmental Science and Technology : MSc
- International Masters in Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security : MSc (Research)
- Nuclear Science and Engineering : PgCert
- Plant Sciences (by research) : MSc (research)
- Resource and Environmental Management : MSc
- Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security : MSc
- Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security : PgCert
- Sustainable Water Management : MSc
- Sustainable Water Management : PgCert
- Volcanology and Geological Hazards : MSc