Car Parking Policy
We aim to improve the quality and value for money of alternatives to single-occupancy car travel in line with the University's Travel Plan objectives. You can view the parking options and prices in the information below.
Summary of Parking Policy Changes for 2015-16
- Students – revision to categories 2a and 2b of the Student Parking Policy to include non-campus residents. See Student Parking Policy.
- Students – introducing access to parking permits at Chancellors Wharf for student residents at nearby LU Homes accredited student accommodation. See section 9 of the Car Parking Policy Principal Document.
- Contractors – amendment to allow contractors to purchase Staff Parking Permits for the Summer Vacation period. See Contractor Parking Policy.
- Long wheelbase vehicles – restriction on the parking of long wheelbase vehicles to designated parking areas only. See section 22 of the Car Parking Policy Principal Document.
- Monthly Parking Permit – a new monthly permit for LU staff with contract of 52 weeks or less and tenant staff from the co-located businesses in LEC and InfoLab21. See section 23 of the Car Parking Policy Principal Document.
Visitor Parking Zones
These zones are available to University visitors with a valid one-day green visitor scratch-card or pay & display sticker or staff holding a valid Car Sharing Permit. They are also available for the University's fleet of vehicles and hired cars for University business. Visitors must not park in staff or student zones. Staff and student permit holders must not park in visitor zones.
All ticket machines dispense tickets for 2 hours at £2 or £5 for a full day (see below for exceptions). Chip and pin card payment facilities are available at most machines. All day visitor scratch cards are available from the Cashiers Desk in University House between 9.00am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday, and are priced at £5 each. Car Parking - Parking Zones map is available. Students are not permitted to buy one-day scratchcards.
Further travel information and maps for visitors click here.
Pay & Display Machines
Pay & Display Machines are located in the following Visitor Car Parks:
Note: There is no payment machine at Visitor Car Park B, located off North East Drive. The nearest machine is located in Visitor Car Park A.
Student Parking Permit
Students are not normally allowed car parking permits to park on campus. Please check the Student car parking policy 2015-16 for exceptions.
Applying for a Student Parking Permit
For applications under categories 1 to 4 of the Student Parking Policy please use the Student categories 1-4 eligibility 2015-16.
Contact the Car Parking Office on email@example.com or telephone 01524 592179
Termly Parking Permit
Staff and eligible students can purchase Termly Permits direct from the Car Parking Office in the Security Lodge at any time of the year. These are not purchased through Flexible Benefits.
They are as follows:
- Staff Zone Termly Permit: £64
- Student Zone (Alexandra Park) Termly Permit: £48
Students must be eligible for a permit under the Student Car Parking Policy - see above except during summer vacation.
- Chancellor's Wharf Termly Permit: £48
- Contractor Termly Permit: £64
Valid only on Visitor Car Parks B, E and K)
The Autumn Term permit includes the Christmas Vacation period. The Spring Term permit includes the Easter Vacation period. There is a separate permit for the Summer Vacation, priced as above.
Staff Car Share Permit
The price of the Staff Car Share Permit is significantly cheaper than the standard staff permit to encourage car sharing!
Contractor Parking Policy
Different arrangements apply to contractor parking. Click here to view the Contractor Parking Policy 2015-16
Parking for Astroturf and Tennis Courts
Users of the Astroturf pitches or the tennis courts at the University, which are accessed off Green Lane, should park on the Sports Field Car Park or the University campus (accessed up the main University vehicle entrance on the A6) and walk down to the facility. Parking is free after 18:00 and at weekends but is pay and display at other times at just £1 for up to 10 hours parking. Please do not park on Green Lane as this road has double yellow lines along its lengths and is being regularly enforced.
Urban Core Area (permit eligibility restricted for Students)
The urban core area refers to the central urban area of Lancaster and Morecambe including campus, which is within a 10 minute walk of a bus stop with a regular and direct service to the University. Students living in this area during term time are not normally allowed a campus car parking permit.
Advice on Foreign Licences/Vehicles
Report a fault (road surfaces, lighting, drainage...)
Reporting a change of vehicle
If you are a permit holder and change your vehicle you will need to inform the Car Parking Office in the Security Lodge of your new vehicle details so that the permit database can be updated. You can contact the Car Parking Office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or telephoning 01524 592179.