The nearest train station to Lancaster University is Lancaster Railway Station, situated around 3.5 miles away from the University. Lancaster is on the West Coast Main Line with regular rail services to destinations throughout the UK.
Lancaster Railway Station is about a 5 minute walk from the city centre.
The 4 and 4X bus services operate between Lancaster Railway Station and Lancaster University every 30 minutes during Monday to Saturday day times. There are also buses to meet the most popular trains on Sunday evenings in term time (4X). The journey time is around 25 minutes.
Here are some links to further websites that you may find helpful:
- Google Maps Directions - Journey planner by all modes of travel
- Lancaster Station departures and arrivals - Live train departures and arrivals
- National rail information - Train times and booking tickets
- UK bike-rail restrictions - All trains to Lancaster carry bicycles but some require reservations
- Travelling to Lancaster from UK airports from the International Office
- Timetable information for the 4 and 4X bus services
Rail Season Ticket Loan
Staff can apply for an interest free loan to help pay the cost of rail travel for commuting to and from work. Interest free loans of up to £5000 are available. Click here for more information.
Save a third on rail fares by purchasing a railcard for just £30 a year. A Disabled Person’s Railcard is just £20 a year. Click here for more information.
Eligibility for the 16-25 Railcard also includes mature students aged 26 or over and in full-time education.