As a Fairtrade accredited University since 2008, Lancaster University is committed to improving the availability and range of Fairtrade products available across campus.
Fairtrade Fortnight 2015
Fairtrade Fortnight 2015 ran from 23rd February to the 8th March. There were lots of exciting events and great offers at Lancaster University, including:
- Fairtrade Street Feat in Alexandra Square
- Fairetrade banana eating competition
- Fairtrade or Food Miles debate with cheese and wine tasting
- Fairtrade offers and promotions at LUSU Shop and Central
Education is one of the most effective ways to escape poverty, but currently only 1 in 3 children attends high school in Malawi. If 90kg of rice is bought at a fair price, a farmer in Malawi has sufficient income to send one of their children to school. The catering team took the '90kg rice challenge' and sold 90kg rice during Fairtrade Fortnight 2015. Find out more about the 90kg rice challenge here.
The Importance of Fairtrade
Fairtrade aims to ensure that some of the most disadvantaged people in the developing world are getting a better deal from trade, through fair prices, sustainable farming practices and community investment.
As a Fairtrade accredited University since 2008, Lancaster University is committed to improving the availability and range of Fairtrade products available across campus. The commitment is demonstrated through the Fairtrade Policy and the range of Fairtrade products available on campus, as well as the Fairtrade activities organised throughout the year.
Where can you find Fairtrade on campus?
- Fairtrade hot drinks and snacks are available in all LU Catering outlets.
- LU Catering will provide Fairtrade hot drinks and snacks for any internal meeting.
- LUSU Shop stocks a wide range of Fairtrade chocolate and confectionary, as well as Fairtrade hot drinks.
- LUSU Central Stores stocks a wide range of Fairtrade chocolate, confectionary, tea, coffee, sugar and other groceries.
- 108,778 servings of Fairtrade hot drinks were served at LU Catering outlets in 2013.
- 170,932 servings of Fairtrade hot drinks were served at LU internal meetings in 2013.
- Over 140 Fairtrade products are now available in outlets across campus, an 11% increase since 2012.