Photograph of Princess Alexandra the University's First Chancellor

Alexandra Square is of course named after the University’s first Chancellor, Princess Alexandra. The architects of the university were keen to encourage intermingling through the design of the Square. The mixing of all the buildings, in what the main architect of the Square, Epstein called “a fruit salad of functions”, whereby there was no segregation of different departments, accommodation and recreational facilities, is designed specifically to achieve this objective. The square is bounded by University House to the west; Bowland College to the north, shops and banks to the south- east and the library to the south- west. Alexandra Square forms a natural amphitheatre and was created so that the students could deliver theatrical performances or just meet together. Since its construction, the Square has been at the hub of university life.

Lancaster University
Bailrigg
LancasterLA1 4YW United Kingdom
+44 (0) 1524 65201