Bailrigg is an excellent building. Its well-defined gables and antique-looking half timber work, its carefully elaborated facade and pretty frontal terrace, its contiguous grounds and woodland surroundings, give it a picturesquely effective, serenely select appearance."
Anthony Hewitson, Northward, published in 1900.
Bailrigg Mansion is now home to the Health Centre but originally it was owned by successive generations of the Storey family and Mr and Mrs Barton Townley. Lancaster University library has both the sale catalogue from 1921 and pictures of the mansion’s interiors. The Barton Townley family owned a local car dealership in the area which lasted well into the late 20th century.