Visitors who cast their eyes beyond the skyline of the university will see a group of fells known as the Forest of Bowland (locally pronounced “Bollund”). This is a 300 square mile area of land lying to the South of Lancashire, described as an “Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.” Bowland was initially a hunting forest, but it is now largely used for recreation. The bar of Bowland College is aptly named “The Trough of Bowland”, this is another area renowned for its exceptional beauty.
For more information on the area of Bowland, visit:
Built in 1964, Bowland College was one of the first colleges to be built and witnessed a mass exodus of students into its residences from the old Waring and Gillow Factory.
Arguably one of the most visible colleges on the campus, Bowland is dominated by Bowland Tower, a vast tower- block that was originally built in order to cover the University’s heating system’s exhaust pipe.
Bowland adopted the Bowland Lady as their mascot. She represents a personification of Bowland Forest and originates from a map drawn by William Hole for the 1622 edition of a poem entitled “Poly-Olbion or a Chorographical Description of the Renowed Isle of Great Britain.” The poem itself was the work of Michael Drayton, a good friend of William Shakespeare.The map is safely housed in Bowland bar and the poem can be found in the library. Have a look at the short extract below:
When soon the goodly Wyre, that wonted was so high
Her stately top to rear, ashamed to behold
Her straight and goodly woods unto the furnace sold
(And looking on herself, by her decay doth see
The misery wherein her sister forests be)
From Michael Drayton’s Poly-Olbion, 1612, Song 7.