The area of Cartmel, after which the college is named, is one of the most beautiful in Lancashire. It is home to the famous Cartmel Priory that was built by Augustian canons between 1188 and 1220. According to legend, the church was built between two parallel streams in response to a “heavenly voice.” A great part of the priory’s structure was destroyed during the Dissolution of the Monasteries under Henry the VIII but a large part survived because the ruling King realised that the villagers of Cartmel had no-where else to worship.
A number of books have been produced on the Cartmel Priory but a particularly excellent example is J.C Dickinson, The Priory of Cartmel.
Cartmel is also famous for having the smallest National Hunt Racecourse in Britain.
For more information about the area of Cartmel, why not have a look at the following websites:
Cartmel college residences were opened in 1968; much to the relief of its members of staff who were called out to haul bedsteads and mattresses upstairs before the first students arrived. Cartmel was designed by the Manchester based architect, Mr Haydyn Smith. Smith designed the college in such a way as to expose it to as much natural light as possible. The college is also dominated by a number of large, multi-purpose grassed areas that are very popular during the warmer months. Extra residences were built in 1969 to cope with the expanding student population.