Lake CarterLake Carter has a history of its own. It was constructed in the early 1900s for Sir Herbert Lushington Storey and was preserved during the construction of the University. In the 1960ís, the lake was named after the first Vice Chancellor of the University, Charles Carter, thus immortalizing his name for generations of future students. Charles Carter was 43 when he was appointed as Vice Chancellor of the university, having previously lectured in Statistics at Cambridge University and been a Professor of Applied Economics at Queens University in Belfast.

Photograph of the first Vice Chancellor of the University, Charles CarterMarion McClintock recalls that Carter was energetic, creative and quiet man who was personally active in the growth of the university. When the site at Bailrigg was under construction, The Vice Chancellor traveled from Manchester on a daily basis to oversee the work and could often be found unloading furniture with other members of staff or undertaking similar tasks. A committed Quaker, Carter’s appointment was called “an inspired choice” by the Lancaster Observer. He retired as Vice Chancellor in 1981.

Lancaster University
Bailrigg
LancasterLA1 4YW United Kingdom
+44 (0) 1524 65201