The landscape altered dramatically after 1809 when Joshua Hinde created rectangular fields of pasture on the former moor. (Very little is known about Joshua Hinde, but he was possibly related to the long established local ‘Hinde’ family). It is likely that these fields were subject to paring, burning, re-seeding and field drainage to improve their quality. This was done at the height of the Napoleonic wars so Hinde probably aimed to improve the land in order to increase food production during a time of shortages and high prices.
By 1833, Hinde had developed the land extensively, largely through the plantation of a shelter belt of woodland on top of the hill which would become the west side of the new campus.