In 1887, the estate was purchased by Sir Thomas Storey and, on his death in 1897, it passed to his son, Herbert Lushington Storey. At that time, the estate comprised of 523 acres of land and three farms, Hazelrigg, Bigforth and Bailrigg, and Burrow House. Between 1899 and 1902, Herbert Storey built Bailrigg House where he lived until his death. Bailrigg house was designed by the architects Woolfall and Eccles of Liverpool. Herbert also re-orientated the land, adding additional elements to the landscape and later hiring the famous local landscape architect, Thomas Mawson to do addtional work.
The field boundaries in front of Bailrigg House were removed in order to create an area of parkland. Some of the fields adjoining the house were used to create kitchen gardens, a cricket pitch and a lawn tennis court. The existing framework of the woodland plantations were retained but the construction of a gentleman’s residence necessitated the estate’s conversion from open fields into a domestic pleasure ground in the style of a typical Edwardian county house. So for instance, the farmstead was moved from Bigforth to Bailrigg Farm and an ornamental and fishing lake was built. This is now named Lake Carter, after the first Vice Chancellor of the university.